Chapter 14

For five minutes I was struggling to poke a needle through Goliath's leg to stitch up his wound. My hands were shaking and I could feel sweat run down my forehead. Glaring at the clean open cut, I watched blood form around it once more. "Barbara, let me take care of it. It would not be the first time I stitched a man," Anne said. I had moved aside as she picked up her dress and stepped in the bath. She then sat at the edge of the tub like I did and adjusted Goliath's leg where she like it to be as she gave Goliath a warm gentle smile. Part of me was grateful that Goliath was wearing a cloth, covering his man parts. "Now Goliath, this may hurt so don't move. And please do not howl. You'll scare your wife and my daughter away."

Goliath nodded his head. You could tell he was not up for the task at hand. He looked worried but tried to keep a serious I-don't-give-a-shit look. Just sitting by his side scared me. To watch the needle go through the skin. To hear his groans when he slashes in the water.

I close my eyes and shiver. I couldn't watch. I wouldn't dare. I shouldn't. But when I opened my eyes just to peek. I snapped my head towards the door and saw Myris standing by the door frame, hugging the wall. Glancing behind me I quickly got up and walked towards the door. Bending down, to Myris's level I gave her a big smile knowing I may have looked worry doing it. "Why don't we wait outside, together?" I asked. She nodded her head as I got up and walked her away from the door.

We settled at the kitchen table. With our hands together and our heads down. We tried to block out the small screams that came from the bathroom. I couldn't stand blood but I'm so disappointed with myself. I could have at least been able to stitch him up. Bandage him. But I couldn't do that. All I did was stare at the cut like, if I looked at it long enough it would go away. How useless am I. Of all he is doing for me, I couldn't do at least that.

What seemed like an hour later, the house become silent. I glanced up, staring at dark empty hallway. Slowly, Anne walked into view in the hall and towards the kitchen as she tangled her bloody hands in her apron. Picking up her head she smiled at me, "He's alright. I made a fresh bath for him and ordered him to rest in the other room."

"Thank you," I felt relieved by the news as I lean back on the chair.

"Shall I make you both of you something to eat?"

After Anne feed both Myris and I, Anne had given me a tray with bowl of soup for Goliath who had been quiet for some time now. Walking down the hall there was a door a cracked open. Walking towards it I lean my back on it to open it. When I turned around I found Goliath lying in the bed with one leg in the blanket and the other one with the stitches on top of it.

"How are you feeling?" I asked hearing my voice shake.

"I'm alright," he said coldly, "I have had worst." That's right. He is known to be the Dark One and yet the more I'm with him. The more I see for who he really is. Sure the moment we meet he had this, I like to kill, thing going on but is that really him. Is that really the person he is or was he made to be this way. Was it became of his race, because of what he is, or was it because of war.

He was alone for so long that he had to put up walls and here he is, showing me sides of him that he never showed to anyone. No, his not showing me because he wants to. It's because of the book. Because I'm Gwendolyn. The person he is to be with. Not me. Shaking the thought away, I came to his bedside and placed the tray on the little side table next to the bed.

"I'm sorry I couldn't stitch you. I-"

"You don't like blood. I know," he said talking over me.

I couldn't look him in the eye. I was so ashamed of myself even though I know I shouldn't be. If I was Gwendolyn she would be more fearless, able to stitch his wounds, and able to fight. As for I, I depended on him. I had to. I'm weak in more ways than one and can't do a thing here.

Lifting my eyes to the other side of the bed, by Goliath's side was the red leather book. That's right. I had the book, it would tell me what's going and maybe what to do. I guess I'm not completely useless but without him I wouldn't be here. "My book," I whispered reaching over him to take it. The moment my hand gripped on the books end Goliath placed his large hand over my wrist. Snapping my head towards him, our eyes meet. I was surprised but he looked so cold. "Goliath?"

"This book. What is it?"

Looking into his eyes I didn't know how to answer. I'm not even sure myself. Well I do, kind of, I think but how should I put it. Should I even tell him what it is? If I do will that mess everything up? "Did you look inside?" I asked felling the uneasiness in my tone.

"Yes," he said as I felt a large pain in my gut, "It's empty."

Huh?

I opened the book and stared at the last page I was looking at before, that still had words. Can only I read the book? I signed a little. Almost grateful that I didn't have to explain the four wall to him. How would he take it if he really knew he wasn't real? If he was just a man in a book being told what to and how to do it without know. To have someone control your' every move and every word.

Suddenly I felt sad. Is that really how it is? At this moment, everything he is doing, is it a lie. But if Gwendolyn was here he wouldn't have this conversion but this part, where his hand is would have happened. Is this the moment where the two of them would start to feel something towards each other.

My heart felt like it was in pain as I squeezed the book in my hand. I shouldn't get myself too caught up into the book. It would be harder for me to leave him if I really do fall for him. I would be just as hard to leave him when I finish the book. "Barbara?"

"Only my eyes can read the book," I said.

"Then what does the book say?"

"I can't say. I don't know what will happen if I do. And I'm afraid that if I do everything will fall out of place," I lowered my head ashamed of myself once more even though I should be.

Gentle Goliath creased my cheek, feeling a shiver run down my back. "Alright," he softly spoke. "You really are a strange one, aren't you?" With his one hand on my wrist he slowly slide it up my arms and brushed his fingertip onto my cheek and slowly moving them the back of my head.

It almost felt natural what was about to happen. The way we moved towards each other. The way our lips meet, the way his lips softly touched mine as if to tease me. It felt right what we were doing and whatever happens next would be no different. Engulfed in he's heat, I followed his lead.

His hot breath mingling into mine, our tongues stroking each other as we move in closer, leaving no space between us. My chest against his and his large muscly arms hug my body as gently as they can like I was a fragile glass china doll.

I never felt so alive in my entire life. My body didn't feel no shame of what was going on and neither did my actions. But in my head I knew. I knew it was wrong. That the body I was in was not my own, it wasn't me he was looking at but her. The person, the character I took over. Gwendolyn.

With all the power I had left in me before I was clouded by lust, I pushed him away. He didn't fight me and I was grateful for that. Quickly getting up, I kept my head down, making no eye contact as I rush out the room. No words where said from either of us and maybe that was for the best. Walking out the door and closing it behind me. I stood in front of the door.

I don't know what to do. I didn't know how to feel. And it was all because of this damn book.