Chapter Three, Part Three - Paint the Town

"Now, tonight, you're gonna twice be entertained by them, right now and later. Ladies and gentlemen - The Beatles!"

The Beatles made their American television debut on The Ed Sullivan Show against a backdrop of pastel-colored modular designs. The four young stood out in their matching grey mohair suits accentuated with black lapels and shaggy hair.

Ringo's drumkit was set up on top of a highrise stand behind his bandmates. He took his cues from Paul as the other young man played his bass guitar. They were in sync with one another, and the nerves he previously felt about performing had all but disappeared.

He swayed his head back and forth and kept the beat going on, 'All My Loving' a tune he drummed with ease. However, the importance of the moment wasn't lost on him. He never thought they'd get a shot at performing on American television. The most he hoped for was a chance for the Beatles to perform on Sunday Night at the London Palladium.

The boy who'd sat bedridden in a children's hospital recovering from a life-threatening illness was well on his way to becoming an international star. This moment of introspection was short lived as the group launched into a saccharine rendition of Till There Was You.

****

Charlie wanted to remain a casual and unaffected television viewer, but she was happy for the Beatles as she watched them perform on Ed Sullivan. She felt a sense of pride in knowing someone who was on television.

She focused on Paul first. He was at the forefront of the group. She couldn't deny to herself that he looked good, but he always looked well put together.

Charlie's gaze shifted to George. He stood a couple of feet off to the side and behind Paul. His broad grin was irresistible. She briefly looked over at Wanda seated next to her on the sofa. She knew her friend was enjoying the performance from the way she bobbed her head along with the music.

Charlie wanted to ignore John's presence, but her eyes lingered on him. The way he laughed as he played and his casual stance drew her in. She wanted to look away but she couldn't and then the camera cut to a single shot of Ringo playing drums. 

She didn't know what to make of him as he moved his head along to the beat. The smile on her face dimmed. She'd made a date with a guy that she wasn't interested in, and there wasn't any way of getting out of it.

****

Ringo drummed his fingers on his thighs. He was still on a high from performing live. He'd left the television studio soon after the show ended with Mal, a police escort, and a driver. He'd passed up the offer to join his mates for dinner at the Playboy Club followed by dancing at the Peppermint Lounge. Ringo was feeling a bit nervous. He didn't have any solid plans with Charlie, and he wondered what they'd do. The chauffeur driven car pulled up to the curb.

Mal opened his door to step out.

Ringo firmly stated. "I'll go on my own." He reached for the door handle and stepped out of the back of the Cadillac.

He stuffed his hands into the pockets of his coat and headed for the address Charlie had given to him. It wasn't until he'd made his way to the building that he realized he didn't have her apartment number. She said she'd meet him out front, but Charlie was nowhere to be seen. Ringo didn't want to believe she'd stood him up. He was going to give her the benefit of the doubt and assumed she was probably still getting ready.

He pulled his pack of cigarettes and lighter from his coat pocket and lit himself a smoke. Ringo walked up the steps and tried the door to get inside, but it was locked. He looked at the names listed next to the intercom system. He wondered which one belonged to the bloke who'd answered the phone when he called Charlie earlier that day.