XIII: Sirius ways of thinking

"Oh, uh, I was just

"Oh, uh, I was just...sorry Grandma!" Sophie said.

The old woman shook her head and went to sit beside her. She sat on the bed and looked down at her. She put an arm around her and sighed.

"I know, curiosity can get the better of you. Did you read the next part then?" 

She nodded.

"Well, why don't we read this next scene together?" She smiled at her granddaughter.

*******************

"This girl is exhausting! She was lovestruck before and now she never speaks to me and instead gets Lily to send messages to me! Madness!" Sirius exclaimed.

"Girls are a mystery..." James said.

"But she shouldn't be, you see. That's the problem. When I tried to talk to her, she just looked away and walked over to some Slytherins! I don't know what I've done wrong!"

"Well the first step is to calm down. When did you last meet?" Remus said behind his muggle book.

"Around this time last week I think."

"Well, maybe she doesn't want to talk." James said.

"What are you getting at James?" 

"Well, maybe it's her time of the month?" James chuckled.

"Wait. Is she also a werewolf?" Sirius whispered.

Remus face palmed and closed his book. He looked at Sirius and shook his head like he has an innocent child.

"Poor innocent Sirius." Remus said.

"What are you getting at, Remus Andrew Lupin?" Sirius frowned.

"It's John!" Remus said in frustration.

"Hello John!" Peter squeaked and James burst into laughter.

"You know, Sirius. Don't play dumb...again." Remus said, leaning against the wall of the dorm room.

"Remus, I honestly, hand on heart, have no idea where you're going with this. As far as I know, if you say it's the time of the month I go straight to the idea of them turning into a werewolf. So tell me, is Juliet a werewolf? It's not a turning point for me, I'm just curious."

"For Merlins sake Sirius, Remus is just trying to be polite. He's talking about when a girl...y'know...acts the same way as Remus once a month because of that thing..." James trailed off.

"Which is..." Sirius smirked.

"You know, you git! You were just trying to make us say it!"

"Sorry Remus, I couldn't help myself!" Sirius laughed hysterically.

Remus just cursed under his breath and picked up his book again. To annoy him, Sirius put his head on Remus' shoulder and started breathing heavily through his nose.

"Whatcha readin' Moony?"

"It's a muggle book Lily lent me, it's called Romeo and Juliet and it's by this playwriter called William Shakespeare. He-"

"Boring! I'm going to find Juliet, see you in a few." He said and closed the door behind him as he stepped out of the dorm room.

He started skipping down the stairs, his hair flopping into his face but he hit someone whilst he swing his arms and they both tumbled down the stairs.

"What the eff were you doing, Sirius?" Lily moaned, rubbing her head.

"Skipping."

"I'm not going to ask."

"You really shouldn't."

"Anyway, I was coming to see you and it was quite fortunate that I bumped into you but unfortunately I literally bumped into you." Lily started. "Juliet asked me to give this to you."

Lily handed Sirius a letter in his outstretched hand and he turned it over. No address, no name, no return-to-sender address. He ran his finger roughly around the seal and pulled out a piece of parchment. It was only two words in the middle of the parchment but a few sentences had been scrawled roughly at the bottom.

She knows - JW

Sirius frowned but looked at the sentences at the bottom of the page. Lily watched him as he did tentatively.

Rita knows. She found out yesterday and is blackmailing me. Either we stay together and she tells the whole world about us or we don't stay together and she keeps her trap shut. I chose the latter of the two but of course I didn't want to choose either. You better think of a plan or you can kiss me goodbye. Use the Marauder in you.

"You want me to use the Marauder in me to think of a plan? I'll do my best, love. Never forget me, mystery girl." Sirius whispered to himself, still holding the letter.

*******************

"I don't like Rita Skeeter much..." Sophie told her Grandmother.

"Believe me, no one did." She smiled.