Romance in Italy - 23

Start from the beginning

Then I scooped my ensemble off of the floor and headed to the bathroom, the phone still clenched between my ear and shoulder. I put the phone on speaker and then placed it down gently on the porcelain sink. I kept up my conversation with Caleb while I changed. 

"Do you have any plans tonight?" I asked as I lifted my top off of my head and let the smooth fabric of the tunic slide down my torso. 

"I'm just going to hang out with Dani." He replied. 

Immediately, a pang of guilt slammed into me. For the past week, I haven't thought about my other best friend. Shamefully, I bowed my head and said, "How is she?" 

A twinge of slyness crept into his voice when he said, "She's fine. Great, actually." 

I narrowed my eyes as I unbuttoned my jeans and pushed them down to my ankles. I picked up the denim shorts and pulled them up my leg, slipping on the beige sandals last. "What do you mean?" 

"After her break-up with Jake, she got really depressed and was not herself." Caleb informed me. 

I gasped and hung my head. I'm a terrible friend. How could I have possible forgotten about Dani? It was absurd and the more I thought about it, the worse I felt. "Oh, my God." I whispered, my throat suddenly closed up. "Is she okay? Why haven't you told me this earlier?" 

"Because it only lasted for a few days." Caleb explained. "Do you remember her unhealthy obsession with your older brother?" 

I blinked rapidly, not sure where he was headed. "Matt? Of course, I do. What about it?" A thought suddenly occurred to me and I groaned. "Please don't tell me she confronted him." 

"Oh, too late." 

I folded my arms on the surface of the sink and dropped my head down on my arms. This could only end in disaster. Sure, my brother had shown some interest towards her before I left but he was a player! He never could keep a steady girlfriend and someone alway gets hurt, usually the girl. She knew better than to be with him. Though, I probably shouldn't say anything. After all, I did manage to keep up a week long erroneous relationship with my chemistry teacher. "Did he hurt her?" I asked, voice quiet. 

"Quite the opposite, actually." 

"What?" I asked, my head shooting back up. 

"They hooked up, Grace." Caleb chuckled. 

I screeched. "What was she thinking? He's only going to hurt her! I know he's my brother and all, but it's the truth." 

"He hasn't yet." Caleb replied softly. 

I stilled. "What?" 

"He hasn't looked at anyone else but Dani since they got together. He's been the perfect boyfriend, which, come on, none of us thought was possible." Caleb's voice held a hint of pride. "She's happy, Grace. Truly, truly happy." 

I let out a long sigh. "I guess I can't be mad at that." 

"No, you can't be. Besides, your father and I had already lectured and threatened him that if he hurt her, he's not going to see another sunrise." Caleb said nonchalantly. 

I laughed, relieved. If my father was involved in their relationship, then rest assured, nothing was going to happen. Dani is like is other daughter; no way would he let anyone hurt her, much less his own son. "Well, hey, I gotta finish getting dressed. Blake should be here soon." 

Caleb sobered up. "Okay. And hey, Grace, be careful tonight. I know he's going to apologize and provide a good reason but don't accept it so easily. You can't be sure he won't hurt you again."