Chapter Five: Taken

The night before...

Lily stared dumbfounded at Aurora's message drawn in the mud, yet before she could ask what was wrong, Aurora had dashed out from under the bridge. She looked in the direction Aurora had taken, worry lines marking her forehead.

What kind of trouble had Aurora gotten herself into this time? And what would cause her to head towards it instead of running from it? Lily needed to know more.

If Aurora was in trouble, then she would do everything to help. She grabbed the small pack Aurora carried out of the water then stepped into the rain.

Her clothes were immediately soaked but she ignored the cold and wet. Not knowing where exactly to go, Lily ran mindlessly through alleys littered in refuse and growing puddles.

The grinding of metal scratched her ears and she followed the clamor. As she drew closer, the clashing stopped and a crackling broke the patter of raindrops.

Hugging the wall, Lily turned the corner where the back alleys intercepted but saw nothing. Surely Aurora was nearby. She couldn't have outdistanced her that quickly. Taking a deep breath, she stepped forward to the sound of crunching ice beneath her booted feet. Odd, no hail had fallen as she looked to the sky.

She never saw the blast that floored her unconscious. Her body fell limp to the ground in a tumble with Aurora's pack at her side.

 Her body fell limp to the ground in a tumble with Aurora's pack at her side

 From the shadows Mimika emerged smiling. Lord Fennaris, who was close behind, crouched next to their victim, crystal in hand.

It began to shine a faded glow. "There is a faint scent of magic around her. It's similar to the other one." He pocketed the crystal and stood.

"Then which one is the one we want?" The puff of light that obeyed Mimika hovered over the girl's head revealing a perfectly heart shaped face and hair the color of honey knotted in a various entangled braids. Mimika sneered. "If they are both the same, then we should kill this one now." She leaned down in eagerness.

"No." He held out his arm to ward her off. "We need to know more first. I want to know why there are two, when there is only said to be one." He huddled closer to Lily.

"Still, she is lovely. If nothing comes of it, I will keep her for myself. Let's leave this place. It's time we returned." He snatched her arm and lifted the Lily's body over his shoulder without decorum.

"What about the rogue knight and the other one? Should we not stop them, my lord?" She turned side to side, searching the dark alleys. The puff of light circled above her once, then landed on her open palm where she extinguished with a closed fist.

"We will, but first we will take care of this one." His stride was swift as he headed to the streets away from the back alley. The girl's body bumped unceremoniously against his back with every step.

Mimika's eyes rested on her with unhidden contempt. "You're right. She does have a pretty face." There was nothing genuine about her comment as she continued to walk closely behind her lord. "It would be a shame if something happened to it." Like a claw her hand reached out to touch it, but Fennaris' had quickened his pace.