Prologue

(Goblet of Fire Year)

PROLOGUE

After arriving in London, I was greeted by several British Ministry employees all of which looked as happy to be the ones escorting me to the Leaky Cauldron as if it was their own execution. Typical and yet annoying reactions unfortunately. Little was said among any of us, with the exception that my meeting with the Headmaster of Hogwarts was tomorrow and that I could travel by floo powder to the Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade from the Leaky Cauldron.

As soon as we arrived at the old inn, they quickly carried in my luggage, leaving it in my room and left without another word. I could smell the relief coming off of them as they walked out and I knew I was just as happy to be rid of them. I decided I might as well look around and relax before the meeting tomorrow. Diagon Alley was much like the wizard shopping centers back home, with the exception of the English accents everyone had.

 I soon find myself thinking about the interview tomorrow while I explore a Quidditch supply shop. I wonder if my family would be mad if I bought a new broomstick, a Firebolt to be specific, if I get to attend Hogwarts. Honestly if I get to attend Hogwarts my family will do backflips and buy me whatever I want.

Whether the headmaster agrees to let me stay or suggests finding another school will be determined tomorrow I suppose. I was told I was in, got the letter and everything, but people have a tendency to change their mind once they're around me. I'm not human enough for most people, I pick up on smells and sounds faster than they ever could and it freaks them out. I'm usually too stiff in the way I carry myself or too graceful, as a professor once told me, to pass for a normal witch. That was the reason for denying me entrance into the school in Spain, just as well really my Spanish is awful. I can hello and pants, everything else is hopeless.

Though I'm sure that this school will be no different from the previous four schools I have interviewed with the last few weeks, I have to admit I hope I'm allowed to stay. The weather is much cooler than back home in the states, and the accents that everyone has here are very pleasing to listen to. Plus it's not a foreign language which is always good. I continue to explore Diagon Alley as I think of this and listen to everyone shopping. I buy an ice cream from a little ice cream parlor on the main section of the alley way, while I think about my interview or meeting with the headmaster of Hogwarts tomorrow. I guess I will just have to wait and see if I can stay or if the monster is going to be shipped back home again.

I suppose if nothing else, I will get to watch the Quidditch World Cup match on the 22nd. That's only 6 days away, and my friend Viktor plays for Bulgaria, so this trip won't be a total loss. It was rather shameful that the US team was knocked out of the tournament by England only to then have England destroyed by Transylvania, but at least Bulgaria made it.

My parents and a few uncles have tickets and will be joining me and staying until the match is over, either tomorrow or the next day. My father and uncles are also using this as a chance to practice diplomatic politics with the English Ministry of Magic. He was not impressed with how begrudgingly they allowed me to apply to Hogwarts, and the conditions they required on our government's part. Especially since our system treats everyone as equals at least under the law anyway, people's own opinions are a different story altogether.

 They wanted to come earlier with me, but I wanted to meet with the headmaster by myself, it's me he's deciding whether to really let in and not my parents. Plus seeing everyone at the match will be enough I'm sure. My head feels heavy as I lay down to sleep and I wonder if I will still be in London this time next week, or if I will be on the way to the next school.