Chapter Thirty Two

Kate and Evee arrived a couple of minutes before the start of the competition. They were allowed to go to where the stables were since Kate already had two security men for herself. When they finally stepped out of the car and into the public eye, Evee could feel people staring at them.

Not once on her life had Evee dreamt of being where she was now, chatting with the wife of a future king like they had known each other for years. "Maybe you should put on some sunglasses, there will be pictures of us." Kate spoke, giving Eveline some advice. She already knew that people would speculate who the blonde woman was that Kate brought to the race. They hadn't seen her before so they would take guesses.

Evee nodded her head, taking her sunglasses out of her purse and putting them on. They both walked towards the private area, where people would still see them but wouldn't be able to reach them. Evee could hear the photographers snapping away when Kate put her head closer to the nurse, quietly talking. "I will actually pay attention to Harry's facial expressions, you know, when he's jumping up and down on that horse."

Evee laughed in response, grabbing a glass of champagne offered by a waiter in tuxedo. Quietly sipping, she watched as the horses marched towards the field. "They're on opposite teams." Evee spoke.

"This will be fun." Kate smirked as she watched her husband in his polo-outfit. "They're very competitive."

"Somehow that doesn't seem so hard to believe." They both watched in concentration. Evee still didn't understand the game but she did comprehend that Harry's team just had to shoot the little ball in the opposite team's goal.

After a while, Evee didn't even notice the cameras anymore because she was so into the game. She silently cursed when William scored and Kate laughed at her. She cheered a little too loudly when Harry scored and he gave her a tiny wink. She grinned, receiving an elbow from a grinning Kate. "I thought you guys were going undercover."

"We are."

"That wink tells me otherwise." She teased, sipping from her champagne and closely following William with her eyes.

"They'll never know we're together. I'm just another friends of yours who's caught in your brother's web of handsomeness. " Evee laughed. Maybe she should stop drinking champagne.

In the end, William's team won, which resulted in Kate teasing Evee. The nurse replied that it was because of Harry's sore balls. The duchess explained that they were going to freshen up now and that they had to meet with a couple of VIPs. "Don't you have to meet them as well?" Evee spoke.

"Well yes, but I don't want to leave you."

"I'll come along, just tell them I'm a friend of yours." She didn't think it was a big deal, she always liked to socialize.

"I can do that. Come along." Kate spoke, grabbing Evee arm, intertwining her own with it.

When Kate marched towards the first group, two women and four men, Evee noticed how the atmosphere changed when Kate said hello. They straightened their backs and bowed their heads. Standing on the opposite team, Evee thought it was all a little too strange.

"Your royal highness, how did you like the match?" A young man, he didn't seem much older than Eveline, asked.

"Yes, very interesting, glad my husband won." Evee was amazed at how Kate interracted with these people. How the hell did she seem so polite? They had just laughed over Harry's balls a half an hour ago. "I'd like to introduce you to my friend, Eveline."

Most of them bowed their heads as well, a little uncertain of what to do, which made Evee feel really uncomfortable. "Nice to meet you." Evee replied.