‹ 1 0 ›

#10 - Babyproofing

Warnings: pregnancy, food mention

You sat on the couch, watching as Gordon Ramsey tore into some dude for having raw chicken served in his hotel as you scooped chocolate ice cream into your mouth. The door of your and Jake's apartment suddenly slammed open, making you jump and almost spill the melting ice cream.

"Babe?" Jake called out to you.

"In here!" You said back and he came into the living room. "Why're you back so early?" You queried, turning to him and you put the spoon in your mouth once more.

"Do you know about babyproofing? Where you like make your house safe for a baby and stuff?" He panted, making it seem as though he ran straight from the precinct to here. You scrunched your nose up.

"Yeah? Why?"

"Well we've gotta do it." He told you with panicked wide eyes, "Now. Like, right now." You watched as he rushed around the living room, cleaning it frantically as though the baby were about to come out of you within the minute - Alien facehugger style.

"Jake, baby, calm down." He relaxed somewhat and dropped the clothes, pillows and other miscellaneous items he was holding. He then made his way over to you and flopped onto the couch, dropping his head in your lap. You ran your fingers comfortingly through his hair. "We've got enough time to do all of this, okay? We still have a few months." You assured him.

He nodded and sighed, "I know...I just want to be the best dad ever, you know? I want to be there for them and make sure they're safe..." You pressed a kiss to the top of his head.

"I know you do and I also know you'll be the best dad in the world." He grinned up at you before sitting back up and wrapping an arm around your shoulder as you leant into him. "So, how about today we chill out since you're already home and I want to have a lazy day with you and then tomorrow we can start babyproofing?"

"Sounds fine to me."

...

"Wait why are these even important?" Jake questioned, holding up the weird piece of plastic. You bit your lip and grabbed one of the many you'd bought. A kind woman had shown you around and guided you through what you should get but both of you had forgotten pretty much everything she told you.

You hummed and inspected it, "I think it's to keep the cabinets closed so the baby can't get into them."

"Why would it even want to?" Jake chuckled, "It's just pots and pans, dumb baby." You giggled, shaking your head as you sat down by the drawers, being careful of your growing tummy.

You peeled off the thin pieces of plastic to reveal two sticky pads. You haphazardly stuck it on. "I think that's how you do it?" You tugged on the drawer and thankfully, it barely moved.

"Well done, babe!" Jake congratulated you excitedly, extending a hand to help you up.

After putting the latches for the drawers on, you and Jake moved on to the bathroom holding a squishy whale in your fist. "And so this is to stop the baby from hitting it's head in the bath, right?" You nodded and you were about to step into the bath to try and put it on but Jake quickly snatched it out of your hands. "I'll do it," He smiled at you and poked your nose gently, "Don't want you to slip." You smiled at his concern and though you knew you could probably handle it, you stood back and let him do it.

He stepped in and crouched in front of the tap, trying to wiggle the small whale on but his struggle was made increasingly more evident as time passed until he finally sighed and got out of the tub. You stood beside him and tilted your head at the lopsided whale.

"Should we put it on?" You suggested and he nodded, leaning over and twisting the 'cold' knob. You both let out screams as the water came out in a freezing spray, covering almost every inch of the bathroom including you and Jake, soaking your clothes.

Jake stumbled over to the knobs and violently twisted it, turning the water off, leaving both of your panting and cold, wiping water from your faces. "Maybe we should just ask Boyle to help?" You said.

Jake nodded, "That's probably a good idea."