September 28th

No luck yet on the cousin front. We finished the police station and moved on to Children’s Services. They were a bit more resistant but Kevin was able to talk them around. I don’t know how, given how weird he first appears to people, but he did it. So I get to look forward to reading more depressing reports tonight. Yay. But if it’ll help Kevin feel better then I’m fine with it.

            Leah tossed her diary into her bag and zipped it up as Kevin slid down beside her. She glanced at him then stared. He was even paler than he had been the day before, with beads of sweat all over his face. “Kevin? Are you alright?” she said, touching his shoulder.

            She snatched her hand back almost immediately, startled at how cold he felt. Then she pressed her hand to his forehead, feeling the difference as best she could. “Kevin! What are you doing here? You’re sick!”

            His eyes went to hers, the wavering way they moved making her think he couldn’t see properly. “I will be fine,” he said, voice coming out in a breathy whisper.

            “No, you’re not. You look really bad. You need to see a doctor or something,” she said, shaking her head.

            He tried to copy the gesture but only ended up falling against her, almost knocking her to the ground. She struggled up against his weight, sliding one arm around him and holding his eyes with hers. “You need help. Come on, there’s got to be someone you can get to take care of you. What about your cousin, J? Janguis I think his name was?”

            “Jashen? Jashen…is not here,” he replied, head slipping farther off her shoulder.

            “Can you call him?” she asked, hearing the worry in her own voice. He was looking worse by the minute, his breathing hard and his eyes getting brighter while his body remained cold.

            “Call…Jashen?”

            She nodded frantically. “Yes, call him now. You need him to help you.”

            “Yes,” he hissed, closing his eyes.

            Leah relaxed, gently stroking his forehead as he murmured things she couldn’t hear. She felt goosebumps roll down her arm as the air began to feel heavier and electrified, like just before a really big thunderstorm. She glanced down and saw his eyes were still closed and his lips still moving as he continued to chant softly. She frowned at him, wondering how long it was going to take and if he was going to be able to finish his spell before he got too sick.

            Then she felt like a bucket of water had been dumped over her head, everything suddenly feeling wet, her eyes seeing nothing but blue. But the feeling didn’t end until it was almost like she was swimming underneath the surface, expect her arms were still around Kevin and she wasn’t moving. She opened her mouth and felt the water feeling rush in, making her choke slightly. As a fear of drowning welled up in her, the sense of liquid around her disappeared.

            She opened her eyes, not remembering closing them, and found herself somewhere else entirely. Smooth walls of what looked like opaque blue glass surrounded them, the floor the same material. In front of them was a wide arched doorway that had small blocks of the glass-like substance around its edges. The blocks appeared carved with something she couldn’t see from this distance. In an evenly spaced line around the walls were small orbs that glowed pale green, giving the whole place the look of something out of a mermaid story.