Chapter Forty One: Intruder

Start from the beginning

No matter how much I wanted to say those words to him, I couldn't. He may have been wrong but he was still my father. I needed to give him hope, not tear him down.

"I believe in someone who will bring peace back to our land," I said out loud. "Lady Anya."

In my dream, I her told her to stop the evil coming our way. It meant that she held the answers to saving us. She was strong enough to, especially with the winter stone. She only needed to be angry enough to destroy everything in her path.

"That girl?" my father scoffed. "If I remember correctly, she was injured during the Firelander attack. How can I trust her to be an asset without the winter stone?"

"She also killed four of the fifteen Firelanders that had escaped," I told him. "That is power."

"Without the winter stone, we'll lose!"

"This is something you should've thought about a long time ago," I told him, and my father just stared at me with a contorted face, having been deeply conflicted.

Slowly, his expression darkened as desperation set in. "Help me," he said. "Find the stone."

"So that you can use it on the others?"

"No." He shook his head. "It was a foolish plan, but I was desperate enough to try anything. When you find the stone, you keep it...or break the stone and give half to the girl. The two of you together with the pieces of the stone will be stronger than our whole army."

My father was right, and I was glad that he finally admitted his wrong. "I'll find it," I told him, managing a curt nod. "Rest assured, I'll get it back before the first attack."

"And Sebastian, remember. Our people are counting on you not to fail," he explained. "So don't."

The weight of his words kept me pinned to my seat, but with great difficulty, I stood to my feet.

"I won't," I told my father, taking full responsibility for my princely duties. I walked out of his room feeling as if we were getting closer and closer to my dream...the one where only fire thrived.

Needing to blow off some frost, I headed to my private training room to exercise. The feeling of pushing my body to its limits as I worked out gave me a sense of accomplishment. Every ounce of pain meant that I was growing stronger, strong enough to possibly protect my kingdom. I could only hope.

"Prince Sebastian, forgive me for intruding," I heard a familiar voice apologize behind me. Immediately, I stopped working out and turned around to find Lady Esmeralda staring at me with a look I couldn't quite comprehend. How did she know I was here?

"Why are you here? I have not called for you." My harsh tone sliced through the air, and her head jerked back as if the impact of my words had hit her.

"I know, however, I couldn't wait to talk to you," she told me, moving toward me. "I followed you here, and then I waited outside as I gathered up the nerve to come in."

"What's so important?"

"I've just been so lonely and worried without you here. After the attack, I couldn't come to you." A single tear slid down her face. "You've returned and haven't even thought of checking on me to see if I was alright. As your future bethro-"

"I have not promised myself to you," I interrupted. "I've never mentioned a possible engagement. Not even once. The reason I hadn't stopped to check on you was because I was with Lady Anya."

Lady Esmeralda stopped walking toward me and wrinkled as she frowned. "Her again. If I hadn't known any better, I'd say that you like her."

"I do," I told her bluntly. "So much so that I'm willing to release you of your...intimate duties."

"But-"

"It as fun while it lasted," I smiled, earning myself the coldest glare she could manage. She spun on her feet, turning toward the door to leave. Once she got to the door, she turned back and flared her teeth.

"You're making a mistake, and when you realize that, it'll be too late."

"Is that a threat?"

"It's a fact." Again, Lady Esmeralda turned to leave, but I stopped her.

"Esmeralda, I'm quite sure that I've caught on to how vindictive and manipulating you are. You are the definition of an opportunist who will stop at nothing to get what she wants. If you even so much as look at Lady Anya," I stopped and inhaled deeply, trying to contain my anger. "If you even try to breathe the same air as Lady Anya, I will have your head."

Her weary eyes confirmed that she believed my statement, and with a quick and yet graceful nod, she left my room. I stood there, staring at the closed door, hoping that this would be the last I'd have to deal with her.

Something told me that our encounter wasn't the last, though. Women like Lady Esmeralda were hard to get rid of and when they wanted something, they didn't give up easily.

 Women like Lady Esmeralda were hard to get rid of and when they wanted something, they didn't give up easily