3.2 || Explosive Rage

Josh wasn't invisible, but he had never felt so many eyes on him or heard his name whispered from so many lips as much as he did through the rest of the school day.

Talk of his and Darren's "fight" had spread like wildfire. Most people gawked at him when he passed. A few tried to approach him, hoping for more details. He told them all the same thing: Darren must have gone on a rampage and attacked the first guy he found.

Nobody bought it, but when his classmates realized they couldn't get anything else out of him, they left him alone. Tom made the bus torture, though, refusing to give up his interrogation until he had to leave.

About an hour later when his family finally went to the supermarket, Josh couldn't help but wonder if he should even get Regalia. It would just give Tom another chance to question him.

"And how about you, Josh?"

He dragged his eyes from the car window to the front. His mother twisted in her seat to look at him. He blinked.

"What about me?" he asked.

"I asked you and Eli how school was."

"Oh."

His chest tightened. He searched her expression. She quirked an eyebrow as he delayed answering, but otherwise, it didn't seem like she was trying to bait him. The tension eased from his shoulders. Was it too much to hope that he'd gotten lucky and the school decided not to call?

"It was fine," he said with a shrug. "Boring as usual."

His mom eyed him for a moment, but before she could say anything, Eli spoke up. "Oh yeah. Tyler said the birthday party is going to be a sleepover now," he said. "Can I stay over?"

Josh took the chance to glance over at the young brown-haired boy that sat beside him. He could still feel his mom's questioning gaze on him, but the conversation shifted to Eli's plans that weekend and didn't return to Josh's hesitant answer for the rest of the car ride.

The closer they got to the supermarket, the more the nervous knot in his gut uncoiled. He would grab his game, explore while he waited, go home, lose himself in games, and then wake up the next day with everything normal again. Like with the dream, the insanity of today would fade away.

"I'll be at the games," Josh said once they stepped into the store. "Don't forget to let me know before we check out."

"Oh yes, because it would be such a shame if we forgot to tell you before," his dad muttered, though jokingly.

Josh began to walk backwards, shooting his dad a mock glare. "Hey, I mowed the lawn for the past month. You promised to get me this as payment." With no more added comments, he faced forward again and started toward his destination.

But that quickly changed as Eli spoke up behind him. "Mom, I need to go to the toys and get a present for Tyler."

A groan built in Josh's chest as he slowed to a stop. There went his peace and quiet looking at the games.

As he expected, his mom said, "Josh, could you take Eli to the toys?"

Could didn't mean he wanted to, but he sighed and turned back to his family anyway. They stood by the carts, his parents and Eli looking at him expectantly.

"Sure thing," Josh said.

Eli beamed, somehow oblivious to how cruddy Josh found this situation. "Thanks, Josh."

"Nothing over twenty dollars," his mom said as Eli darted up to Josh. "Got it?"

"Got it," Josh and Eli said at the same time. "Come on, pest," Josh added with a ruffle to Eli's hair.