[Revised/Edited] Episode 16: Child of Wind

"The Breeze Carries the Seeds Away"

[Day of the Test- Caelum Wahkan]

*Yen*

I walked into my room and groaned as soon as I found my triplet brother still asleep on his side of the bed. We would be late if he didn't wake up soon.

I stomped over to him and shook his shoulders. "Wake up! We're going to be late! Come on, Lei. I don't have your time. If you're going to sleep in, then I'll go ahead of you."

"Just nine more minutes," the sleepy boy murmured, drawing the blankets closer to his face.

I put a hand under his back, lifting him up. Next, I wrapped my arm around Lei's neck, effectively grabbing him in a chokehold.

"Gah!" Lei cried out as his turquoise eyes snapped open. "Fine, I'm awake! Now please don't wrestle me awake again!"

I smiled victoriously. "Good. Now hurry and get cleaned up. I'll be waiting for you downstairs." Hopefully, Hikaru had woken up early. I might've not given him much time to rest. While I was tough on him and Lei, I did so for them to pass. Both of them needed to grow a lot. Especially Hika. His magic might've been strong, but using it came at a huge cost to his prana reserves.

*Lei*

I moved my long honey-brown bangs away from my eyes. "I need a haircut," I said, noting it in the notebook next to my nightstand. Putting it back down, I rushed into the bathroom. As soon as I did, I felt something wet underneath my feet. Squatting, I picked up a towel from the blue-tiled floor.

'That Yen,' I thought. At school she might have had an image of a good and neat student, but in reality, she was quite the slob.

Sighing, I threw it into the laundry basket along with my clothes and entered the shower.

I turned the water knobs on and hoped for warm water. Instead I got struck by a blast of cold liquid. At least I hadn't turned the showerhead on yet.

"Again? I got a test to go to!" I yelled at the thing. "Come on you stupid thing, I don't have the time to be dealing with you!"

My hands curled into fists but I knew hitting it would've made things worse. I turned the knobs on and off again until I finally got something closer to what I had wanted.

'That's more like it!'

The water singed my light-brown skin as the room was quickly enveloped in a cloud of steam. I closed my eyes and drew the hot vapor deep into my lungs, allowing the patter of the hot water to drown out my anxiety.

The warm water always made my lungs feel better. Felt as if I could run around and participate in sports like the rest of the kids.

I shook my head and berated myself for allowing my thoughts to take some of my valuable time. I had to make it to the test on time.

I turned off the shower and wrapped a green towel around my body. Dashing out of the bathroom, I left a trail of water in my wake.

Despite feeling refreshed, the shower had done little to quell my nerves. I couldn't afford to fail the entrance exam into Kyuu Seishin's Nine Petal Academy. That school was my first step toward becoming Magus Maximus, the 'strongest mage' in the known universe!

Opening the closet, I searched for something to wear. I threw several pairs of clothes onto the bed in my mad rush to find something appropriate to wear for the occasion.

They were all old clothes from middle school. Most of which were too worn and even a couple of things that I'd outgrown. 'Middle school...'

I shook my head. Middle school ended months ago. After tomorrow, I could finally put it behind me once and for all.