Future of an Immortal part 24

*Sapphire's POV*

I woke up normally with a sleeping lump next to me. I was still half asleep when I realized there should be two lumps laying on the sleeping bag with me. Figuring Adele was on a walk, I didn't really think about it and went to rekindle the fire back to life. 

Breakfast consisted of the last remaining packaged food we had in our possession, but I knew we would get to the nearby town soon, so I threw the empty package of food at Sam and Garret to wake up them up. Sam groaned, while Garrett hardly even moved. I mumbled despairingly at their obvious teenage will to sleep in.

I was a bit grumpy, so I sat on Sam, making him jolt in response. I had done this countless times to him when he was being difficult, but recently he got more self conscious of himself and kicks me off right away.

The same was true this morning, and he grumbled while desperately trying to get out from under me. I had mercy on him and got up, saying, "I'll sit on you again if you dare go back to sleep." He, of course, sat upright immediately.

I chuckled and told him to finish cooking while I got Adele. It had already been an hour, and I wondered what was taking her so long. I searched for fifteen minutes, and finally gave up. I returned to the camp, finding Garret and Sarah awake, with Sam studying the cooking food very closely. 

"Hey guys," I said, "Do you know where Adele went? I thought she would be on a walk, but it's been an hour already..."

"Nope," Garrett sat drawing into the dirt with a stick, not really paying attention.

"Did you see her go to sleep last night?" asked Sam.

"Yea, she was sleeping with us. I remember she yelled out, but said it was a rock she sat on."

"Hmm. Well that sounds suspicious doesn't it? I don't recall Adele ever complaining about something so trivial," Sarah put in.

"If she sat on a rock quickly, wouldn't it get the same effect and not something suspicious?" I asked.

"I'm just saying. I don't think she usually complains about being hurt."

"For heavens sake let me just ask the rock and see where she went ok?" (Remember, I'm psychic and can see the past of objects)

"Fine, but we're right," Sam added smugly.

I went over and placed my hands on her side of the sleeping bag and added, "Sam, I'll show you that nothing is wrong and you're just being para..." Pictures flashed through my mind showing last night's events at this spot. I saw one flash of Adele getting comfortable, then another of her crying out. After that, one picture showed a snake in striking position, then bit marks on Adele's leg. I saw the snake then crushed by a rock, and her explanation to all of us.

Needless to say, I freaked. I jumped back from the sleeping bag in horror.

"Sapphire? What's wrong?" Sam asked worriedly.

"S-s-s-snake!"

"Huh?"

"Look under the rock. Right now."

Garrett came over, also looking worried hearing this. Sam picked up the rock, and there was the snake. I recognized the viper as the diamondback rattlesnake. I think we all just looked at each other for a second before running in opposite directions searching for Adele. 

I jumped past rocks and bushes searching for some kind of life. I knew the rattlesnake bite was deadly, especially if not treated. My determination strengthened thinking of that, and I called out her name multiple times. No answer. I was on the verge of tears when I finally reached a large boulder to catch my breath for a moment.