Chapter 1

I swear it wasn't my fault. I swear to God I didn't start the fight. I swear I shouldn't be sitting in a jail cell across from some random kid who did start the fight. In all honesty he did do it to defend some poor kid who couldn't defend himself but still, I shouldn't be here. I'm not the one who punched the bursar. To be fair though, the kid did get the idea from me, I did mutter that someone should punch the guy. I still don't want to be stuck here.

"I'm Alexander. Alexander Hamilton. Sorry for getting you arrested. I didn't mean to." He said quietly. I guess he's nice.

"John. John Laurens. And don't worry, this stuff happens all the time." I tell Alex. It's true.

"What do you mean?" He asks, eyebrows raised.

"Well I'm a bit of a trouble magnet. It's how I met most of my friends. Lafayette, my first friend here at university, met me when I walked in on him and his boyfriend, Hercules, uh," I falter. Why am I telling him these things? I barely know him.

"Hercules? Like the Disney movie?" Alex is laughing hard. I join him, realizing the hilarity of the name and of our situation.

"Yeah, like the movie. He's really nice though. They just kinda kicked me out until they were finished. I was laughing the entire five minutes. It's a bit interesting actually, I'm almost always in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't really understand why. It's how I meet everyone though. Like the Schuyler sister, Angelica, Eliza and Peggy. Or Aaron Burr. That's a story." I was rambling on. Alex just sat and listened. His face was tanned with brown eyes and a full mouth. He looked like he was from the Caribbean or something. His long hair was tied back in a ponytail similar to mine. I smiled brightly, happy that my awkwardness had landed me another friend. "I'm from North Carolina, you?"

Alex tensed up a bit, his features tightening. "I'm from the Caribbean. But I moved here for school. I write quite a bit, about as much as you talk actually, and it was my writing that raised enough money for me to get to go here. I'm also on a scholarship so that helps." It was his turn to ramble. I sat back and watched him speak, happy to just listen instead of fill the air with random stories. "But what about you? Tell me about your friends."

I spoke again. "Well Lafayette and Hercules are dating, both are extremely overbearing at times as well. Angelica is the oldest of the group, but is pretty down to earth and funny. Eliza is a bit shy, and roughly my age. Peggy is the youngest but skipped a grade and is a freshman. Burr is a sophomore like me, same as Lafayette and Hercules. Then of course there's-" I stopped talking as Officer Washington walked in. "Hey George."

He laughs at me. "Back again John? You do realize there's a tally going around for who has arrested you the most right?"

I blush. I definitely don't need Alex to know just how often I screw myself over and end up being arrested.

"Who's winning?" Alex pipes up, giving me a teasing grin.

George plays along, smiling at my expense. "So far? Me. Of course he never should have been in here in the first place pretty much 100% of the time."

Alex laughs. "Well I'm Alexander. Um, can I leave?"

George nods. "Jefferson admitted he was out of line in calling us. You can go. It's not going on your record Alex."

Alex thanks George and scurries out of the cell. I stand to leave, but George blocks my way.

"You gonna tell me why you're blushing John?"

I feel my cheeks. Hot. I feel the blush now, realizing Alex must have noticed as well.

"No, I don't plan on it actually. Hercules is probably wondering where I am. I gotta go." I push past George and hop in my car. Lafayette drove it over as per usual, and was sitting in the backseat. Rain pelted the roof of the car and I saw Hamilton pull his hood up and start to walk. I honked my horn to get his attention.

"Alex, need a ride?" I called out to him. He nodded and ran over.

"Thanks." He sat down in the front seat and twisted his shoulders as he buckled himself in. His eyes looked nice. I drove back to campus in silence. Finally Alex asked the question I hoped he wouldn't.

"Why were you blushing?"

I blushed again. "I don't know what you're talking about Hamilton."

YAY I DID IT! Ok uh what did you think? I'll try to update daily but I can't promise anything and yeah. So uh.

ShylyAngelic 👼🏼