1 8 | l i f e

Previously...

I forced my legs to move faster though my left leg made it difficult. I clenched my teeth and forced myself forward. Kid, Law and Luffy followed behind me, taking on the enemies that tried to get through and attack me.

But I abruptly stopped in my tracks causing them to look up as well.

My eyes widened.

No.

Fleet Admiral Akainu stood before us, malice in his eyes. He grinned evilly. "It ends here."

No!

The next thing I knew, a large magma ball was flying straight at us.

The people I knew and loved stood behind me.

Yuki-san waited for me at home, expecting my return.

My brother was just in front of me, waiting to be saved.

It didn't end there.

I didn't think.

I reacted.

~

The Present...

Silence.

Deafening silence.

My breathing is heavy, hand raised, outstretched before me.

Admiral Akainu smirks, a knowing look in his eyes.

He knows who I am.

Everyone continues to stare at me in shock. The fighting has stopped. My blue, flaming barrier managed to save us.

But I was still hit.

The painful headache pounding at my head caused that to happen.

My skirt and tights are torn, revealing my prosthetic left limb that I've tried too hard to hide for so long. My shirt is seared, burnt away from the bottom revealing my stomach, a huge scar across it. I managed to save Ace all those years ago but I'm the one who carries the scar of the fatal injury, leaving him without a mark.

"Well, (Y/N) D. Newgate." Akainu sneers. "We meet again."

I hear gasps go out around me and wince at the name. But I look straight into his cold, menacing eyes with my void ones.

"That's right." I reply.

"Heaven's Wrath (Y/N)." I hear Kid whisper behind me.

"You were there at the Paramount War." Akainu continues. "You managed to stop the execution and saved Portgas D. Ace by risking your life."

"I did."

"Though you couldn't save your father." He laughs cruelly.

"I couldn't." I say, my face giving away nothing though a pang of guilt goes through me.

"You then mysteriously disappeared, taken under the aid of Trafalgar Law along with Monkey D. Luffy and Portgas D. Ace."

"I was."

His smile becomes even larger and chills me to the bone. But I steel my eyes, staring unforgivingly into his. We remain that way for what seems like an eternity. His eyes hold no warmth, no pity - nothing. They are completely empty, soulless and dead. He cares for nothing.