Chapter 3 - Preferences

It was the evening before the investiture. The king hasn't sent for Hélène from the moment she arrived back from her holiday at Nether down south of the capital city. She was enjoying her evening alone, trying on several gowns provided by the king for her installation when the petite Catherine, her maid-in-waiting, ushered in.

"Your Ladyship, the Earl Herling is here." she informed her, her voice making a shrill sound.

"Please send him in. And please tell Anne to put these away for tomorrow. I will not have you ladies in my chamber tonight."

The 16-year-old maid-in-waiting nodded and curtsied, and Hélène heard her open the presence chamber for her brother. She heard footsteps growing loud, and she combed her red, thick hair for her to look more comely.

"Hélène , I have three bottles of wine with me if you want to join me in my misery." said Richard, his gait zigzagging and awkward.

"Richard!" she stood, trying to meet him halfway through her room. "Look at you! You're so red, so drunk! And you've let them see you like that?"

"Oh, are you Lady Mother now? I thought you would welcome me however I look. Here, drink some, be merry with me tonight for tomorrow I'll hang myself."

She held him in his arms, and the drunken man fell to her. She took care not to take all the weight to protect her progeny.

"I won’t drink in my night gown. Let me take those." said Hélène , taking the bottles away "Lie down, you're too drunk."

Richard somehow helped himself and walked his way to her bed.  Upon lying himself down, Hélène stripped him of his cap and coat.

"Wait for me here, I'll fetch you a basin of water." she told him.

He took a grasp of her hand and stopped her.

"There's no need to sister. No need. I'll kill myself tomorrow, so please pray for my soul."

"Don't be ridiculous Richard. What's driving you mad?"

He clasped his hands, her hands between them. He rubbed them on his cheeks.

"Well, your Henry thinks it fun to arrange my marriage with that monkey of a lady, Mary Olliver. It's being talked about within his inner group since breakfast last morning. I thought he was musing, but no, he announced it for all to hear and Mary and her little friends chatter about it all day long!  Her father even sent her a congratulatory note!"

"For goodness' sake brother, the girl is very well-connected! Marry her and you'll not just have a title, but lands too. It complements each other. If you don't find her comely then send her away, maybe to Nether."

Richard let out a sigh.

"You don't understand dear sister. She's the most malicious, vile, and gossips whenever possible. She has her ears everywhere! It's as if God's omniscience was thrust upon her.  And her eyes… oh god Hélène , she’s a nightmare!"

"Oh poor you Richard."

"Yes, poor, poor me. His Majesty has a very ill humor. I'm hanging myself."

She rested her head on his clothed chest.

"How about I ask him to revoke that announcement and have you choose a girl of your liking?  I’ve never asked him for anything before, he can grant me the peace he can afford you." she asked him while playing with the hem of his nightshirt.

"No, I don't want to marry. Please Hélène, I don't want to wake up tomorrow."

"You can't possibly mean that. You need an heir to your name."

"I just—don't like women, in general."

"What?! Richard, what do you like then, men?"

He did not answer her, and just turned on his side

"Richard! Answer me!"

"Hélène... "

She stood away from the bed, looking disgusted.

"But you kissed me, made love to me, and you're telling me you're a homosexual? You would be hanged for that!"

"I love you sister. I would kiss you everyday of my life."

"Yes, you would kiss a woman when it's only me. You had me many times and think it's no more than brotherly affection. Oh Richard, you would bring me down with you. My poor Richard..."

She started crying, sitting down on a low foot stool. He heard her hushed sobbing and rose from her bed.

"Hush now Hélène."

"Don't touch me... Go away now."

"You're turning me away too? Hélène, you're turning me away?"

"Just... Go. I don't want to see you.  Richard, please don’t go on with anything that may harm you.  I love you, Richard, but don’t tell me you’re—like that.  It’s not you.”

Then they both heard falling glasses, breaking into pieces.

“Who was that? Catherine?!” she was suddenly alarmed, and ran to the open door of her inner chamber.

“I’m sorry my lady, I thought you’d like glasses for the wine.” said her chamber fellow Anne, picking the pieces of broken glassware.

She closed in.

"How long have been here?"

"I didn't hear anything my lady."

"DON'T LIE TO ME! How long have you been here?!"

"My lady, just a little while... I swear I heard nothing—just your profession of love for Earl Herling.  But he's your brother, my lady.  It's nothing, right?"

She produced a purse of coins and gave it to her.

"Everything you heard here, stays here, you hear me? One word gets out these walls I'll send you to the block.  Do we understand each other?" threatening her with all she could.

"Yes, m'lady.  I'll go now."

She watched her leave the presence chamber.  Richard followed her with his cap and coat on.

"I'm so sorry sister.  I'll leave you now."

"No, you will stay.  I will make you a man once more."