Chapter Six - Daniel - Love and Lies

I lay in the dark staring up at the ceiling for so long that the shadows began to look like other things. Guilt coursed through me, and for more than one reason. I had promised Kyla everything would be okay, but she was already being forced to go against something she had specifically asked for. Aside from that, the night before was still playing in my mind. The scumbag of a fiance was probably at home cheating on her, and I didn't have the balls to speak up.

Kyla was going to hate me, and I didn't blame her.

Once she had fallen asleep I slipped out of the room and made my way down to the kitchen. Warren's daughter Delilah was nursing a glass of something. She looked up at me and smiled.

She was beautiful, and exactly the type of girl I'd usually take home for a bit of fun. But that urge was gone now and I wasn't sure why.

"Care for a night cap?" She grinned, already turning to grab another glass.

"Thanks."

She leaned across the kitchen island to slid the glass to me, and then, as she leaned over, allowing the top of her breasts to spill from her singlet she poured the drink. I wait for my body to be affected, for even the slightest rise of a hard on, but there was nothing. It was probably just as well. I couldn't sleep with the potential business partner's daughter, fake engaged or not.

I lifted the glass and swallowed the liquid.

"I'd better go to sleep." I smiled placing the glass down. "Thanks for the drink."

"Anytime." She murmured, giving me a sultry smile.

I went back to the bedroom, the sound of Kyla softly breathing was comforting. I lay down and allowed myself to just listening to her sleep. Eventually I relaxed enough that I dropped off.

When I woke the next morning Kyla was already awake. She was tapping away on her keyboard, biting on the end of a pen. I watched her, so focused on what she was doing. An attribute that had help get our business to where it was.

"Morning wife to be." I said sitting up. "Working first thing?"

"Tom sent me another email. I'm just sending him the info he needs. We should probably head down for breakfast together." She said glancing away from the screen for a moment. "You know, to put a united front forward... or whatever."

I smiled and nodded. "I might grab a shower first."

"Go right ahead, I'm about ten minutes away from being finished anyway." She replied, looking back at her work.

The day passed quickly. Warren had a car organised to take us around the city. For a while the reality of our situation was nothing but a distant memory. It was just us and London's sights.

When we arrived back it was late afternoon.

Kyla and I walked into the kitchen, Delilah who sat at the table looked up and smiled.

"Lovely day?" She murmured sweetly, her voice stripped of the sex appeal she had thrown my way the night before.

"It was." Kyla smiled. "So much beauty, I'm afraid one trip around might not be enough for me."

"Well, in that case, how about we head out to a karaoke bar tonight, you may as well see some night life. It won't be much I'm afraid, being a Monday."

"That actually sounds kind of amazing." Kyla said elbowing me in the side. "Don't you think? It's been an age since I sang."

I smiled and nodded. I hadn't heard Kyla's voice for years. Since high school at least, unless you counted the humming she sometimes did in the office when she was really concentrating.