Chapter 18 - Selenite

I knew as soon as Jake turned around, he would notice me gone and would probably hunt me down like an escaped prisoner. The idea made me extremely angry, like I was a nuisance child that needed to be monitored twenty four seven.

I knew the fight was inevitable, so I was going to make the most of my time while I could. I roamed the long wide strip of shops to the left side of the mall, attempting to blend into crowds as best I could. It was then I saw a shop to my right that instantly caught my attention. A pull dragged me towards it and I found myself aimlessly walking into the lavender scented air. Above me on the ceiling hung dream catchers, hundreds of them slightly swaying above my head. Various tables sat inside the shop with gemstones and jewellery of the strange kind decorating the top with small handwritten price tags. The colour of deep purple seemed to rein supreme as I continued inwards. Vintage bookshelves coated the round walls filled with hundreds of open-minded topics such as Psychics intuition, Gemstone healing elements and anything related to a world beyond what we could see.

"Would you like any help there dear?" An elderly woman appeared her smile warm and inviting as her kind green eyes stared towards me.

"Uh, no thanks, I'm just looking" I stumbled as I noticed her heavily decked necklaces full of coloured gemstones, the colour purple appearing on her every item of clothing.

She gave a short nod as she watched me with a smile. I could feel her uncomfortable stare on my every move as I ran my fingers over the books spines.

"Oh wow, that's a pretty ring" She suddenly spoke moving towards me with a now intense gaze on my right hand.

"Oh, thanks" I mumbled looking down at the ring Jake had given me

"May I?" She asked as she held her wrinkled white hands out towards me

"Sure" I hesitated as I placed my hand on top of hers, instantly feeling the cold of her skin.

I watched as her features changed from admiration to confusion, then to frustration and curiousness before she glanced up at me.

"Where did you get this?" She questioned me

"A... friend" I answered.

"Did this friend tell you where they got it from?" She continued

"No" I shortly answered.

"Did they tell you anything about it before they slipped it on your finger?" She crossed her eyebrows as she still clasped my hands together.

"It's Selenite, it helps keep things... away" I told her truthfully.

"The person who gave you this must really care about you" She mused, more to herself as she dropped my hand and stared up at me.

"Why do you say that?" I now questioned.

Clearly she knew something about this ring I didn't.

"I recognize it from books I've read... I've dealt with many different kinds of gemstones before, but this is the most intriguing" She shook her head at me, dumbfounded.

"What do the books say?"

She crossed her eyebrows again before moving around me. She began running her own fingers along the books spines before landing on one she pulled out hurriedly.

She pulled on a pair of glasses that hung from around her neck licking her fingertips as she flicked through the pages.

I watched her eyes quickly scan over the words before returning to my impatient eyes.

"I have someone that would like to meet you" She suddenly spoke quietly before rushing back around me towards a long purple curtain guarding some kind of doorway to another room behind the counter.