2nd year

Birth of Hell•{Hogwarts - 1939/40}

Birth of Hell

{Hogwarts - 1939/40}

There was cold rain the first week back at Hogwarts, and Tom sat alone in the Astronomy Tower watching the rain pepper down onto the growing Black Lake. The rain echoed upon the roof of the tower like running mice, and Tom found himself in a state of relaxation. His legs dangled off the floor, and he held onto the railing tightly. If he were to let go he would surely fall down to his death, but this did not scare him. Nothing scared Tom Riddle.

A loud squeal caused him to cringe wondering if his ears were going to be able to hear again. The sound had come from a fifth year girl who was giggling profoundly running up the spiral staircase pulling her boyfriend along.

Tom turned his body looking over his shoulder at the pathetic couple who hadn't noticed him. The Ravenclaw boy pushed his Gryffindor girlfriend against the wall and started snogging her violently; Tom wanted to vomit. His nose scrunched up in disgust and found that it was the perfect time to leave.

Tom took two steps at a time down the staircase, trailing the railing down with his fingertips. His robe began to whip around him picking up air as his pace became faster and soon he made it to solid ground. He shook his head upon hearing the soft giggles of the girl upstairs. It disgusted him seeing the couple act so foolishly.

Tom did not understand those kinds of petty teenage romances. Though he was not that far from being thirteen years of age he seemed to be a little late for having boyish feelings for anyone.

His group of "friends" talked dirtily about certain girls, speaking about how their developing breasts were more shaped, how their lips seemed more plump. They explained feeling giddy whenever one of them would shrug off her robe in the Common Room, exposing a disheveled white long sleeve hardly buttoned all the way up.

With a scoff at how foolish the older influences were, he walked down the hallway with his hands behind his back. People turned and stared at Tom, whispering to their friends with a look of admiration in their eye.

He even took the time to smirk at a first year Ravenclaw who fanned herself when her friends started to whisper frantically, crowding the young girl. It was only the first month back at Hogwarts and already people showed him more respect than last year; this only made him more arrogant.

But there was one girl in the crowd of students who was not smiling or staring in admiration towards Tom. She stood with her friends, arms crossed, with her hair twisted up in an elegant bun which made her look older.

Tom began to walk faster once he caught her eye, but he was too late. Harriet Smith steps beside him and walks with him through the crowded hall. Tom kept his face blank even though he could hear the Slytherins snicker quietly to themselves.

"You are very popular Tom, look! Everyone is looking at you!" Harriet smirks.

"No, they are staring at you as well." Tom drones hoping this conversation is close to being over. He took a sharp left turn into the courtyard noticing it was nearly empty. The fresh air filled his lungs, and he sighed in relief. The rain fell harder now and Tom silently wished Harriet hated the rain, so she would leave him alone, but she only seemed happier. Tom pulled his hood over his head, hiding his face from those who walked past the courtyard.