September 27th

You know what’s just as not fun as it sounds? Reading through missing and found reports of kids in the area. It was depressing how many there were for the area, especially since we only asked for the last four months’ worth. I’m still surprised the cops were as accommodating as they were, especially since Kevin told them the truth about looking for his cousin. Still it’s not a total loss. I’m going to save some of the information we found out and use it for my World Issues project. I’ll probably get bonus marks for including some local information.

            Kevin dropped down onto the floor beside her and she glanced sideways at him. “How are you holding up?”

            When he stared at her, blinking, she sighed. “How are you feeling?”

            “I am fine.”

            “You looked a bit rough yesterday. I know it sucks we didn’t find anything, but it was only the first day. Did you make a list of his favourite places from home and what they look like?” she said, leaning over until she could bump his shoulder with hers.

            He nodded, pulling the list out of the front pocket of his bag and passing it to her. She read over the list, printed in a script that looked like something right out of an illuminated manuscript but on lined paper, and frowned. “I can think of a garden that’s kind of like the second place you describe and a park that’s a bit like the fifth, but the rest,” she shook her head. “We don’t have anything like them around here. But hey, at least that cuts down on the number of places we need to search.”

            “Search? What happened, Moore? Did you lose one of your pets?” Sam asked, hunkering down so he was on level with them, his green eyes bright with interest. Behind him Joel followed suit, but sat on the ground, his long legs spread out in what quickly became a traffic hazard for students trying to cross the hall.

            She shook her head. “No, nothing like that,” she replied, hoping he’d drop the subject.

            She needn’t have bothered. Kevin nodded to him and said “We are looking for my cousin. He is missing.”

            Sam winced and Joel frowned. “That sucks man. You got posters or something?”

            Leah sighed. “No. We don’t have a picture so posters aren’t much use and we’re not even sure he’s here. But who knows? Regardless, this kid’s a long way from home and probably really scared and confused. If you see a kid like that, let us know, okay?”

            “Want me to ask around?” Sam said, watching both of them.

            She smiled. “That’d be great Sam. Thanks.”

            The expression he returned was far brighter than her own. “It’s no problem. And it’s for the kid right?” he replied then laughed. “And it explains why you two have been plotting the last little while. I was getting really curious about whatever it was that you were whispering about. Next time it’s something like this, let me know, kay? I was beginning to think you two were planning on blowing up the school.”

            Kevin frowned and cocked his head. “Why would we do that?”

            Joel guffawed. “Cause this place sucks, man. I’m getting a soccer scholarship and getting out of here. And this lucky bastard,” he said, pulling Sam into a headlock. “Can get into any school he wants with his brain or with his work on the field.”

            They tussled briefly but Sam came out on top, literally, and they shifted back to where they’d been sitting before. His teeth were bright in the grin he flashed them. “I think it’s still too early in the year for the annual bomb threat, so we should probably watch the blowing up comments. Don’t want the teachers to get the wrong idea. Especially not until it’s spring. Why waste the day off on a day that it’s pouring rain?”

            “I like the rain,” Kevin said, eyes slipping towards the nearest of the windows, the glass streaming water.

            Leah sighed and patted his shoulder. “It’s good you do but most people don’t.”

            “Still working on him, eh Moore?” Sam asked, leaning back, both palms flat on the ground behind him.

            She shrugged. “It’s an ongoing process. And don’t make any little comments because I still remember having to civilize you, Mr. I’m-Not-Going-To-Talk-To-Anyone-For-Three-Weeks.”

            He chuckled. “I was shy and pretty nervous. I got dumped in with a bunch of kids I didn’t know and I was supposed to get along. Thank god you were there. You were the only person who kept trying to help me and the only person who made any sense.”

            She smiled. “You can thank the substitute for that. She hadn’t heard yet that I wasn’t supposed to be in charge of anything or anyone. Thankfully, having someone I was responsible for helped mellow me and keep me on track. Or at least that’s what my psychiatrist decided. It’s why my parents have been so cool about the animals I keep bringing home.”

            “Alright, enough of the love fest. The bell’s going to ring soon and I need to get my books,” Joel replied, standing and stretching.

            “See you around, Moore,” Sam said, punching Joel in the shoulder. “If you need any more help, let me know, okay?”

            She nodded. “See ya Sam.”

            Keivn watched them go before turning back to Leah. “Process?”

            She chuckled. “Teaching you to act like a normal human being. One day, Pinocchio, you’ll be a real boy.”

            He frowned. “I do not understand.”

            She grinned and patted his shoulder. “I didn’t think you would.”