Chapter Five - Kyla - The Lies Unknown

It had been a few years since I'd seen the night life in full bloom. Work had capitalised most of my time, and it just wasn't really my scene anyway. I'd partied in high school, and it seemed that had been enough for me.

I pulled into a carpark outside the address Dan had given me. He saw me before I saw him, because When I finally spied him he was already walking toward my car. He hadn't been home to change, still wearing the navy blue suit he'd worn to work that morning. I frowned. I hadn't meant to make him feel bad in the office, but I had and it had pushed him to go out.

He opened the door and sat down in the passenger's seat.

"Evening." He drawled, his words were ever so slightly slurred, but I could tell he wasn't exceptionally drunk.

"I'm sorry about before." I said straight away, I needed to clear the air. "About what I said."

"Huh?" He mumbled. "You mean the sex thing?" He clipped his seatbelt in and shrugged. "You were probably right."

"Oh." I whispered turning the key in the ignition.

"I can handle a week without sex though. Don't worry. I won't try anything with you just because I'm horny."

I felt my mouth drop open. Maybe Dan was more drunk than I'd given him credit for. I turned to look at him and shook my head. "I should hope not. I may not see him often, but I'm spoken for."

Dan scoffed. "Yep." He replied dryly.

I ignored his response and looked back at the road, glancing in my rear mirror to make sure the way to go was clear. "And aside from that. You and me, we're not like that."

"Well there was that one party in 10th grade." Daniel mumbled.

For the second time in as many minutes Daniel Jackson had caught me off guard. I was surprised he remembered. We had both been drunk and the only reason it had happened was a game of spin the bottle. The bottle had landed on me and the then man boy stud Daniel had girls eating out of his hands. All of them except me. Of course, everyone knew this, so we were dared to do seven minutes in heaven.

Sitting inside a closet with a boy I despised was not my idea of fun. Daniel had made jokes about making the most of the time we had in there and I'd been grossed out enough to slap him across the face.

We didn't speak again until the door opened and we spilled out. One of the girls complained that we hadn't lived up to the rules of the game and insisted we kiss. It was the one time I succumbed to peer pressure, the one time I did something because someone else told me too. I leaned in to kiss him, just to shut them up.

And he had turned his head away, then laughed.

I promised myself then I'd only ever follow my own instinct, but I was faltering on that now, and it was because of him. Again.

"I'm surprised you remember."

"Of course I remember. I was a jerk." He muttered. "Especially to you."

"Why?" I asked as I concentrated on the road. Drunk Dan was an honest Dan, and learning about the inner workings of his mind, I had to admit was interesting.

"Because I could never make you like me. You despised me, and within reason, but I thought I was god's gift and untouchable."

"Well high school was a long time ago. I don't despise you anymore." I said. "So don't sweat it."

"Well for the record. I'm sorry I was a tool." He replied. "So you know how to get to mine right?"

"Yes." I mumbled, slightly confused by the belated apology. I was well past anything that had happened in high school, and I wasn't sure what had happened to make him think about something that bared little resemblance to the lives we lived now.