Chapter 19

My mind was a wreck from sleep deprivation. What was going on with Troye? Why wasn't he replying to us?

I looked around for the familiar mop of curly brown hair as I made my way to my locker.

Nothing.

'Hey Ty' said Melanie as she gave a small smile making her way to me.
'Hey Mel' I replied with a weak smile.
'You didn't get any sleep either? Did you?' She asked as she quietly tried to suppress a yawn.
'No' I replied quietly.

'Mel, what could possibly be wrong with him? Like he was fine yesterday, he was laughing and joking with me' I replied my eyebrows furrowing together.
'Honestly Tyler, I have no idea.' She said leaning against my locker.

'What did you mean when you said that his Mom was different with you on the phone?' I asked
'She wasn't her normal cheery self' she replied, 'Normally his Mom will talk to me for a good twenty minutes, but she was really curt with me and sounded exhausted.'

'Could it be this guy Conor that he's been texting?' I asked my mind racing with possibilities.
'Maybe' she said, 'It wouldn't explain why he left at school, but it would explain why he's being distant. He's a very emotional person and sometimes he just shuts off'

I get that. I understood that of all people.

Maybe I would go and visit him after school. Make sure he's okay.
See if he needs someone to talk to.
I didn't know him for very long, or very well, but he was the first friend I made and I wanted to be there for him.

'I think I'm going to go and visit him later' I said to Melanie before I seen a familiar bright flash of colour. My heart flipped.

'We could go and see him now?' She said her eyes anxious, hopeful.
'But school?' I said hesitantly.
'The majority of the year has gone out supporting the basketball team on an 'away' game. There'll be hardly anyone in the classes and I'm pretty sure
Ms. Smith will just play you another one of her videos'. Her split hair bobbed up and down as she hopped from one foot to the other with nerves.

'Will we get any of the others?' I asked
'No' she said instantly, 'I want him to open the door and not feel like we're ganging on him'
'Okay, Ehmm.. Let's go then I suppose' I replied my palms beginning to sweat.
'Do we just walk out?' I asked
'Yes, just act normal, and don't look around so much' she hissed.

I looked down and tried my best to act casual. I slouched my shoulders but that felt odd. So I straightened up and pulled my shoulders back. But that felt even more weird. So I continued to look down and prayed nobody would notice us.

---

'So this is Troye's house?' I said looking at the dainty two-storey house with the deep plum coloured door.
'Yup' replied Melanie as she turned off the ignition and hopped out from the car.

'I hope he answers' she muttered repeatedly as we made our way up the steps to the porch door.

I knocked firmly, louder than intended.

We waited.

Nothing.

We tried again.

Just as Melanie was growing impatient and was about to try a third time the door opened.

Behind it was a boy I almost couldn't recognise.

Troye stood in a baggy jumper and bottoms, his hair a mess, his eyes bloodshot and his cheeks swollen from crying.

My heart stopped.

What had happened? This boy was fine yesterday?

This wasn't Troye. It couldn't possibly be.

Melanie immediately jumped onto Troye in tears, wrapping her entire body around him.
'Don't you ever scare me like that Troye! Do you hear me! I was petrified that something had happened to you!I rang you 50 zillion times!' She muffled in tears through his oversized sweatshirt.

'I didn't mean to frighten you hon' he replied, his voice scratchy and dry as he wrapped his arms around her.

I walked up shyly not knowing what to do.

I looked up at him and started to tear up. Something wasn't right.

I wrapped my arms tightly around them both, allowing Troye to rest his head on my shoulder and for Mel to be caught in between us both.

We stayed like this for a while. Melanie's gentle sobs dying out after a minute or so.

'I'd invite you both in but you both seem to have taken it upon yourselves' said Troye with a dry laugh as we stood in the doorway.

'Tr-Troye what's going on?' said Melanie through a series of hiccups as we made our way to the sitting room.

We all sat down on the couch, Mel and I staring intently at Troye, waiting for his response.

Silence.

'Troye' I said desperately, 'Please, what's going on' I pleaded

Something was wrong. This wasn't good.

'Have you guys seen that new film, the one with Sam Claflin?' He said suddenly smiling desperately trying to seem alive, but his smile didn't quite reach his eyes.

'Troye' I said, 'What's going on?'

The boy with the curly mop of hair broke down right in front of us in that moment.

His entire body shook with tears.

Melanie and I both shocked at the sight, allowed a moment to pass, sitting helpless, not understanding what was happening before running
over to him, engulfing him in hugs, allowing him to sob whilst we sat there confused and in shock at the sight of the once peppy, enthusiastic boy breaking down in front of us.

Something was wrong.