Chapter 19

"I'm coming to your family's bbq," I told Camille over the phone and she laughed.

"Why?" She giggled.

"Because my folks just go out to eat at a restaurant and I really want REAL food," I said as I put my outfit together. I'm wearing a denim America shirt with cargo pants and white air Max's with a simple gold watch.

"Alright and I have something to tell you," she said. Now I'm gonna spend the whole way there wondering what it is. We hung up and I finished getting ready.

"Can we come?" Natasha and Paulina stood side by side with puppy dog eyes.

"Hurry up and get ready," I said to them and they ran into the room they're sharing. Natasha said she'd rather be here than Camille's because her mother would bother her the whole time. They came out with blue shirts on and red pants and white vans.

"Ready," Natasha said and rubbed her belly. She's starting to show way more than a few weeks ago. We all went downstairs to the car.

The whole entire ride they sang every song that came on the radio. "Thank God," I said as I pulled up to the park where they are having the bbq.

"They have it here every year," Natasha said. "Everyone comes. I mean everyone," we exited my car and I locked it. She wasn't exaggerating when she said everyone because there are old people, adults, teenagers and kids. There's maybe sixty people here right now.

"I'm going to go say hello to my cousins, let's go," Natasha sadly pulled Paulina along but made sure her shirt didn't fit around her belly tightly.

I walked around and some people stared at me like I was lost.

"Young man," an older man called to me and I went over. "Happy fourth, you lost son? If you are you're welcomed here,"

I smiled. "No sir, I'm looking for Camille,"

"What you want with my buttercup?" He smiled.

"I'm her boyfriend," I smiled back at him. He's so nice, most people would've kept staring.

"She finally got her one of those? Thank God! Earl!" The man called over to another old man.

"What Joe!" Earl yelled with a beer in his hand. This is such a movie cliche with the black family but it's hilarious.

"Umma tell Eileen you drinking! But this is my buttercups boyfriend," Joe introduced. "What's yo name son?"

"Andrew Taylor," I stuck my hand out and they looked at it. They smiled and shook it after the other.

"She dating a Jim Crow?" Earl asked and laughed. What's that supposed to mean? "I'm joking son, have nothing against white folk. I have no room for it!"

"Earl put that damn liquor down!" An older white woman who I'm guessing is Eileen yelled.

"You won't let me drink liquor! This is beer!" Earl fought back. Joe gestured for me to sit down and watch.

"I'm gonna lick you in yo head if you don't put the damn beer down!" Eileen yelled and snatched it from him. She then gave him and look and he sat down. She began chugging the beer and handed it back to him.