Seals

So I talked to Spoon today. She’s my best friend, the one Mark has a crush on.

Her real name is Amanda, but she knows how to play spoons, and ever since she told us that she insisted we call her Spoon. So we do.

I asked her about Mark, and she didn’t understand what I meant.

“What about him?”

“Do you like him?”

“Yeah, Mark’s awesome.”

“Would you... Date him?”

“What? No, I don’t like him that way. I don’t think I ever will.”

She seemed to realize how harsh what she said was, and looked at the ground.

“He’s just... A brother to me, you know? I couldn’t lose that.”

“No, I... I understand.”

“Plus I think Jeff’s going to ask me out, so.”

She got really excited and had a big grin on her face. Her smile was beautiful.

“Oh, congratulations!”

I faked the enthusiasm. Jeff was the one that Annabelle blew, and pretty much everyone knows that he was the one who sent the video around. Plus we had heard that he hit his ex-girlfriend once when she accidentally dropped his phone and broke it. We all call him Doucheface, not Jeff. Everyone but Spoon, at least.

“He said he’s going to text me once he gets his new phone. His ex broke it or something.”

I guess she hadn’t heard the stories. It was understandable- Spoon wasn’t really one to dabble in gossip.

I wish she was sometimes, though.

She looked back at me.

"Oh, Sub, Mark wanted me to tell you something."

"What's that?"

"He said that if the guy you have a crush on didn't want to go out with you he'd be as dumb as a seal walking into a club. I didn't know what he meant, though."