[ thirteen ]

THRANDUIL

I did not have the right to speak up; I know that. I was patiently sitting at the couch, waiting for Tristan to realize his mistake while Nina was upstairs in her room, her footsteps echoing. Tristan had a drink in his hand, watching on the television a group of men shooting a ball inside a basket with a big hole underneath. I was not sure if I enjoy it as much as he does.

"How old is Nina again? I think I have not asked."

"She's almost sixteen," he answered, too engrossed on his choice of entertainment. He even startled me when he cheered after his favorite player scored.

"And you'd let her go out at this time of the night?"

"It's summer, Thranduil - it's not a school night."

"When Legolas was sixteen he was not allowed to leave the house as soon as the sun has set."

"We do not have trolls or dragons here in our world."

I clucked my tongue. "But you have thieves and kinslayers as well, am I right?"

Tristan dropped his bitter drink, and turned to me with an eyebrow raised. "Just so we're clear, kinslayers are murderers, right?"

I did not say anything, instead, I took a sip of my wine, still looking at him.

He slowly turned his gaze back to his television, his left foot unconsciously tapping rapidly.

I hit a nerve. And I am satisfied.

As soon as Nina descended from her room, Tristan stood up and followed her to the door. Subtly, I listened to their conversation.

"What time will you be home?"

"I don't know yet."

"Well, you should. It's not exactly safe here, you know that."

"Daaaaad. I'm with Karen and Joan. I'll be fine."

I heard Tristan cluck his tongue. "I was thinking around ten. Or nine thirty."

"It's already eight, Dad."

"Which means you have two hours of fun!"

Nina sighed. "That's no fun."

"It's no fun if you get killed by a kinslayer." he muttered.

"Kinslayer? Oh my gosh, Dad - did Uncle Thranduil put you up to this? Now you're starting to talk like him. Should I expect you to be calling the Valar next?"

"Nobody mocks the Valar, Nina dear!" I shouted, laughing. I swear I can see Nina rolling her eyes.

"Yes, yes - you're gonna answer for this, Uncle Thrandy. Don't you think you'll be getting away with this."

"Yes, I know - see you in two hours! And beware of kinslayers!"

When I heard the shut of the door, I stood up, and followed Tristan. "Your team scored again - it was a very good shot."

He glared at me harmlessly while I finish my wine.

"You made me like this," he growled.

"Oh hush brother, I merely reminded you of the possible harms of the world. She will be fine, forget your worry."

He started pacing, biting his lower lip. I hid my smile, and went to fetch for more wine. Unfortunately, Tristan stopped me and grabbed me to the kitchen.

"You know what? Since we both worry, why don't we take watch? And oh, drink something stronger. Ever heard of rum?"

"I do not fancy it."