~22~

"But I have my life, I'm living it. It's twisted, exhausting, uncertain, and full of guilt, but nonetheless, there's something there."

- Banana Yoshimoto

Emily sat uncomfortably in the tiny multi colored booths, among screaming kids with hands full of tickets and mouths full of pizza, with sticky, greasy faces.

Children drugged up on candy, and very tolerant and zoned out parents. As well as long lines at the prize area that congested the whole arcade.

"Oh god - look look Brooke it's him.." Emily shook Brooke's arm and then sighed exaggeratedly, then pushed her head into the dirty yellow table, letting her blonde locks spread over the surface. Emily mumbled something unclear into the table.

"God must really hate me." Emily pushed her lips into a straight line.
"Who are you going on about?" Brooke asked annoyed.
"The guy I slept with at the pool party.." Charlie moaned like she had a tooth ache.

Brooke burst into laughter throwing around how unsympathetic she was of Emily's burning anxiety and embarrassment.

Emily had a hang up over guys she slept with. If she decided go through with sleeping with a guy and it was for sure a one night stand, she would never interact with him again. She would start to feel mixed emotions.

Guilty.

A one night stand was purely what it meant. What it implied. A steamy, passionate, sloppy night that was meant to stay within the realms of that dusk to that dawn.
"That's the guy?" Brooke smirked, sizing him favorably.

"What's wrong with you huh? What's the problem? He was good?" Brooke asked curiously.

"Yes Brooke, he was friggen fantastic." Emily moaned lightly.
As Emily slightly lifted her head, Emily and Carter made slight uncomfortable eye contact. She shifted her eyes away and chills ran up her spine.

She mumbled some curse words. She egged Brooke to get ready to leave but Brooke wasn't ready yet. Lounging comfortably in her seat munching on greasy crunchy french fries.

Carter's wandering eye kept meeting Emily's. Carter's expression looked serious, as if he was really trying to analyze her in a casual setting. He started walking towards her.

Emily's heart thumping out of her chest. Emily started to clear her throat and prepared for him. She bit down on her tongue hoping he'd click his heels and go back to kansas.

"Hey." Carter smiled casually, pushing his hands into his pockets. He stood before her in a baggy black t shirt, and a slick man bun.
"Yes?" Emily squirmed uncomfortably.

"How have you been?"

"Fine.." Emily said blandly, not maintaining eye contact.

"That's good." He smirked.

At once Emily boldly jumped from her seat and stood facing him. The bright lights bouncing off her pink lip gloss. "Is there something you wanted?"

He licked his lips. He seemed to ignore her obvious attitude, and his smooth demeanour didn't change.
"Just wanted to say whats up." He smirked.

"Look I don't wanna talk." Emily crossed her arms.

Brooke looked on with wide eyes and a mouth full of fries. Then, the threesome heard the blare from the television's above them. The news reporters still were still reporting on Charlie Kissinger, informing locals if they had any information on her whereabouts to come forward to Riverton county police stations.

Carter huffed in exasperation and shook his head. His body posture slouched and his attitude sluggish. He met Emily at a glance and his eyes were proven to be deadened, he spoke.

"Charlie's my cousin."