4. Chronic

"All the times will fade, all the skies will fall. We'll soon be alone, never get any call..."

Hank Moreno kept singing in the background over the speakers at the nearby electronics store. I've set it up earlier with my folder of ironic end of the world songs earlier before being ambushed by the hordes of zombies trying to eat me alive.

Their screams and annoying moans were covering up the beautiful sound of music. In the middle of the street i stood, with a rusted bloody iron bar that i swung around me. The amount of zombies was horrifying, for normal people, it would have meant certain death.

However, for me.. i always survive.

I no longer remember my name. I tried but after a hundered years, things begin to become so meaningless that you forget them all together. What i know is simple: I am a manufactured product of our country's finest military resources and the world's best minds. I was modified genetically and it reflected on my entire body. I was made to "Survive".

I never sleep, never get tired, my body never needs food or water, nor does it age as rapidly as normal human beings. I've only grown around 8 years over the course of the past century.
At the beginning, i was a hero, a fine product of our army that was made as a peoof of concept to be implemented to end the zombie apocalypse once and for all. However, given the fact that we were foolish to think that we would contain roughly 80% of the world population or handle their zombie form, we failed.

What was left is me, a soldier trained in the art of combat and a body that survives virtually anything. I was bitten, never got the infection. My senses were hightened to respond to any threat. I technically fought for the entirety of the past 100 years.

People around me died, whether from the zombies the lack of resources or even old age. There's hardly anyone left in my country, i made sure to check it 20 times or so, all of it, everywhere...

I tend to get bored, hence my ironic colleftion of songs that predicted the end of the world. They were like little parodies of the horrifying truth we live in. In movies of the past, gas would be a precious commodity, scarce and running out immediately. However, i can still find gas, i'm the only one using it anyway, i did the math. It'll take me another 200 to 300 years for me to consume every gas station.. so i'm still driving. Wrecked up several sports cars and even drove a tank for a while.

After a 100 years, you begin to feel that everything is mundane. Your life is meaningless. I have no fear, since the compulsive survival inside me kicks in and always finds a way to defend or get out of any situation. 100 or 200 zombies? Been there, done that. My body will move on its own, killing one after the other, letting them overpower me for a moment before i exploit every possible way to survive. I tried to commit suicide around 17 or 18 times, failed everytime due to my ability. When people tried to stay by my side for protection, they died due to my ability since i'll always act for my own survival.

It's sad i know, but i stopped having any emotions long ago. All i wait for is the end of my time... but if i grew up roughly 10 years for every 100...that means that i would need 700 to 900 more years before i die.. maybe longer since my body is built to mutate rapidly for survival.

Hell.. i could be an alien by now, never knowing it or realizing it. If aliens visit, i'd be as distant from humans as they are.

I talked with astronauts for 10 years, they were stranded in space, awaiting their doom and the consumption of their resources around the orbit. Eventually they chose to crash down to earth and bring down sattelites with them. I've been there when the sky burned with hammering sattelites and spaceships that scorched the earth.

All of that was constantly spinning in my mind as i kept swinging and poking the iron bar i carried against and into every zombie around me swiftly. I had access to countless guns and ammunition, however, i felt that they weren't as fun as tearing the filthy things that really turned my life and world upside down.

How can i keep living like this? A thought came across my mind, what if the rest of the world is normal? What if they fixed things on their ends and established nee civilizations while keeping my country quarantined? We were secluded, surrrounded by the oceans, no communciations were there after the sattelites went down... what if i'm doomed to being bored to death... literally?