Twenty-Two

J❤️💍
What tampon brand did you say again??

El💞💍
Oh my god, I've told you a thousand times. Playtex Sport Super.

J❤️💍
Super, eh? I wonder why you need them so big.....😉

El💞💍
Shut up and bring me my tampons before I bleed on the couch you fool🙄

Three and a half years and nothing had changed. Jamie was still an idiot, and I still loved him more than I have ever loved anything else.

While our relationship hadn't changed, something else did.

The Dallas Stars went on to be the 19-20 Stanley Cup Champions. It had been only a month since the big win, and I could still vividly remember that night.

<><><><><><><><><>

Krystal and I stood side by side in the tunnel leading to the ice, holding hands and bouncing up and down endlessly in our boyfriend's jerseys. Our boys were up by 2, and there were only ten seconds left. The Capitals pulled Holtby, but it was too late; the Dallas Stars had won it.

Tears welled in my eyes as hockey gear started raining down on the ice and the boys piled on top of each other. I felt Krystal's hand grasp mine, and I lifted them up in celebration. The security guard behind us was thoughtful enough to snap a picture of our little moment.

Krystal then used her fabulous photography skills to get a picture of my back, looking out onto the ice as Jamie lifted the cup in the background.

I did the same for her, and after several agonizing minutes of waiting, we were allowed to sprint out onto the ice to find our boys. It took me no less than 30 seconds to find the captain.

"Jamie Benn, I love you so much," I spoke into his ear as he wrapped me up in his arms. He was ridiculously sweaty, but I didn't care. My boy was a Stanley Cup Champion. My boy had finally earned that trophy that he had worked so damn hard for.

He pressed his lips onto mine and grinned down at me.

"Eleanor Bales, I love you more," he trailed off, looking into my eyes like he was searching for the meaning of life. I was so busy looking at my boy that I hadn't noticed everyone else looking at me. He continued to speak, "or should I say Eleanor Benn?"

I pulled my eyebrows together as a grin spread across his face. Val skated up behind Jamie and handed him a microphone and another object that Jamie hid from me.

"El, this is horribly cliche, but I don't think you would expect anything but cliche coming from me. I can honestly say that from the first moment I saw you, I knew you'd be special to me. What I didn't know is just how special you'd become to me. You're my world, and I've truly cherished every moment we've been able to spend together. Good god, I love you so much. Eleanor, would you make this night and my whole entire life better and marry me?"

I was in instant tears as he dropped down on one knee, in front of me, beside Lord Stanley. He let the microphone fall on to the ice as he opened up a blue velvet box to reveal the prettiest ring I had ever seen. Everyone had been watching, but all I could see were Jamie's eyes as I nodded, too happy to speak.

Of course, we had talked about marriage before, but I had never imagined he would've chosen this night to propose. We were both on double highs, and I immediately knew that this night would never ever be forgotten. We would tell our children and eventually, our grandchildren about this night. We would tell our nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, and anyone else who was willing to listen.