Chapter Fifteen

I lay awake that evening, staring at my ceiling. I had replayed every moment of my first date at least nine times. I picked up my cellphone to check the time. It was late, and I was no closer to sleep than I had been two hours ago when I'd gotten in bed. I sat up and dug my journal out from behind my nightstand where I kept it hidden. I wasn't worried that Tess would find it and read it or anything, not that she'd be able to, but it was a habit to keep it out of sight. Better safe than sorry was a good motto to have when you grew up in a home like the one I had grown up in. I flipped to my latest entry from earlier in the night, and reread, amused at the number of exclamation points. The entry was written in Korean. I liked to rotate writing my entries with the languages I knew to keep them fresh in my mind.

          -My first date was tonight. It felt like a dream, but a good one. Not my normal nightmares. We held hands and talked and laughed. When I started getting cold, he put his arm around me. And then after we rode to my dorm on his motorcycle, he walked me to my door and asked if he could see me again! It wasn't at all what I was expected after Tess and I had talked. He was a perfect gentleman! I had been worried he'd want a goodnight kiss. I don't feel ready for that! Especially after my close run in with North. Plus I don't even know how to kiss! But he didn't even try. He kissed my hand though. It was like something from a Disney movie! Perfect.

            I had put the ten dollar bill that had mysteriously appeared in the back pocket of my jeans into the page. Luke had somehow returned my money to me without my knowledge. I found myself smiling as I reread the words. Sticking with the Disney theme, I laughed at how twitterpated I was. I carefully tucked the bill back into the journal and returned it to its hiding place. Then I let out a sigh of contentment and threw myself back on my pillows, determined to relive every moment and touch in my dreams.

          My dreams had other ideas though.

*****

           I dreamed my phone was ringing and every time I answered a voice spoke to me in Greek, and I couldn't make my tongue move to speak to him.

          I sat straight up in bed, wide awake. Silas! I'd never returned his text.

          I opened my text messages and scrolled down to the text I'd received from Silas on Wednesday. I quickly reread the message.

          Silas: Aggele, this is Silas from the diner. How are you? Can I take you out sometime for Greek food? My treat.

          I chewed on my bottom lip for a minute, thinking up a response. I'd been confused as to what he'd wanted from me, but I'd been on a date now, and Luke hadn't seemed to be asking me for sex by buying me tacos, even though I thought I had bought them—Does it count as pick pocketing if he's putting something in my pocket? I'll have to talk with him about thatso maybe this wasn't code so much as me being inexperienced. But Silas could be different from Luke. Maybe he would expect something. He seemed nice enough though.

          I decided I would really like to have Greek food. With Silas. But maybe without it being his treat.

          I'd accept Silas's offer, if it still stood. He must think the very worst of me. I pulled my phone off of the nightstand, yanking the charger from the wall in the process. I growled in frustration, hoping I hadn't broken anything. I checked the time on my phone. It was just after five in the morning. Way too early for any normal person to be awake. I weighed my options. I could text him and he'd get it when he woke up, or I could wait and hope I'd remember to text him later. Doing it right away would be the better option.

          Sang: Silas, sorry I'm so late getting back to you. I'd love to go out for Greek. But you don't need to pay.

          I dropped the phone on my bedspread and pressed the heels of my palms into my eyes. The past few night had left me with very little sleep, and I knew I'd be dragging. Maybe I can squeeze a nap in before my shift at Nevermore, I thought.