Duty

God asks me to take over some duties. I am pretty used to the whole 'shove the bodies back into the pits of hell' and 'pick me up some sinners on your way back from the shops' but his concept of duty is to be nice. Eugh.

'It's an important role you will have here!' He exclaimed. 'The people here look up to you!'

I don't see why they would. I'm from Hell. I like Hell. My dad runs Hell. Not exactly the most positive influence you could find.

But sure, I have nothing to do today. It even keeps me away from Julian, which is great. Expecially after our last encounter.

So I make my way around all these dead people who did something good in their lives.

'Oh Thana!' They cry, the old knitting ladies who would have donated to charities.

'Join us!' The slightly creepy teachers with low paychecks who spend thier afterlife reciting Shakespeare.

'Do you want to play with us?' The tiny little grubs scream until my ears want to burst in agony. I don't care particularly if they died young. I mean, they get to live up here anyway. And if this is the kind of thing you're into it'll be a blast. But it's not my kind of thing. Ever.

To be honest, I don't think my duty should involve living people. I mean, I can relate to those screaming back home, life is pretty miserable, but happiness and joy? Not likely. 

Sitting on one of those blindingly white benches overlooking a painfully white park, I am soon joined by one of the tiny grubs. Of course, this grub happens to have a functioning mouth, and fires it off at a hundred miles an hour, leaving me no time to interpret what she's actually saying. All I can think of is how disgusting the bows in her hair are, and how dresses shouldn't ever be created in the shade of pink that she's wearing. I want to be sick.

"My dolly looks like you," she states, pushing this repulsive most-unlike-me right into my face. 

I look straight into her eyes, since eye contact really does get your point across. "No it doesn't."

She cries. It's amazing how dead people switch emotional states so quickly. Perhaps my people skills are not well practiced. 

"Sorry," I say. I'm not sure why. I just want the crying to stop. And it does. 

She looks at me with her big eyes, he face light up with joy. "Play with me?"

I hate everyone up here.