Chapter 20 - Mala Ali

Oh goodness... my date is in just a few minutes! What if I mess up? What if I say something stupid, or trip, or just make a complete fool of myself! This isn't going to end well... I just know it. I nervously try to smooth down my hair while standing in front of my locker. This is going to be such a disaster, knowing me. Edith tried to reassure me... but I'm still freaking out.

Suddenly Daniel pops up out of nowhere. I jump a little. "Hey babe. Ready for our date?"

I cough a little and try to ignore my heart nearly beating out of my chest. "Yes..."

"Great! Let's go babe. I've got my car parked out front, the movie starts at four."

Daniel takes my hand - be still my heart - and leads me out into the parking lot. I can see his car; it looks very nice, especially compared to the cars in India. But cars aren't very interesting to me.

Daniel looks at me with a confident smile. "What do you think of my ride? Pretty sweet right?"

Um, sweet? How can a 'ride' be sweet? Maybe it's slang for something? "I... I guess...?"

Daniel bites his lip. "You look really hot in those jeans Mala," he says with a silly smile.

I raise an eyebrow. It's not hot out, it's actually really chilly. Daniel is a confusing boy. "No, I'm actually a little bit cold. Can we get in the car now?"

Daniel opens the car door for me and I slip inside. This hasn't been going very well... is it too late to back out? I really do like Daniel, but I'm so nervous I think I might explode! Oh gosh, I hope the rest of the date goes better.

"You know Mala; I've noticed that you have very beautiful eyes. They're dark and warm, like melted chocolate."

I start to blush and smile. That was so nice of him to say! Maybe this date isn't going to be a complete fail. "That's very sweet of you to say."

"Well, it's easy to say when it's the truth."

I giggle softly before turning to look out of the window. He's so sweet. I take a peak of my necklace; a blush of pink is creeping in. Maybe I really do have a chance with this boy. It would be the first time though, I really don't know much about romance.

After arriving at the movie theatre we get in line for our tickets. I check my pockets for my wallet, but then I flush red, realizing I left it in my locker. Great, just when things were getting better!

"Daniel, I forgot my wallet at school!" I say quietly.

Daniel takes out his own wallet. "No problem babe, I've got plenty of cash. I'll pay for the both of us."

"No, I couldn't let you do that-" I begin, not wanting to make Daniel pay for me.

"And spoil our date? Don't worry Mala, it's no issue."

I sigh. He is persistent. "Okay, if you're sure..."

Daniel takes me to the snack line and starts to order two large popcorns and two drinks. I start to protest. He can't spend this much money on me! "You can't pay for my ticket and my popcorn and my drink!"

Daniel smiles and waves his hand. "Methinks the lady doth protest too much. Don't worry about it Mala, I'm happy to treat a lady to a movie. Especially a lady as beautiful as you."

I blush once again. He is such a flatterer! Daniel takes my hand and begins to lead me towards the theatre where our movie is. I stare up in amazement at the giant movie screen; it's the largest screen I've ever seen in my life! And people watch movies on this thing? This is going to be exciting!

The movie starts, and my attention is completely fixed to the screen. I'm not used to American movies; they're so action-filled and intriguing. I have to pay close attention though. Despite my near-perfect English, it's still a little hard to catch everything they say.

"This movie's so exciting!" I whisper to Daniel. "I've never really seen an American movie like this."

"Well Mala, you've been missing out. Just like how I was missing out until I met you."

I turn my head slightly. "But... how would you know if you were missing out if you didn't know me at all?"

Daniel sighs. "Never mind."

I blow a stray hair off of my forehead in annoyance. That was stupid... but sometimes I have no clue what he's talking about. I really need to get Edith to explain these things to me.

About half way through, the movie gets very intense. One of the main characters is shot. The loud noise startles me, and I huddle closer to Daniel. After a minute I can feel something around my shoulder. I look over to see his arm, and I stiffen. What do I do? Do I just sit here? Am I supposed to move closer? I have no clue, so I settle on doing nothing. After a while I finally relax and lean into Daniel.

When the movie ends, Daniel takes me out into the lobby.

"So, did you like the movie?"

I nod. "I loved it! And my first ever American movie too! It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen."

"Obviously you've never looked in a mirror before," he replies.

It takes me a moment to get what he's saying. Of course I've looked in a mirror... but then I understand the compliment. I smile and turn away slightly, trying to hide my ever-present blush.

Daniel takes my hand and slowly pulls me closer to him. I can feel my heart about to jump out of my chest; I can't believe this is happening! I lean in closer, scared and excited at the same time. Daniel tucks my hair in behind my ear; I nearly melt into a puddle. He leans in even closer and places a soft kiss on my lips. I feel like I could die and go to heaven.

"You're amazing, you know that?"

I turn away shyly. "I don't know..."

Daniel pulls me into a hug. "Trust me; you're the only girl I'd ever want to date."

I close my eyes and sigh before he kisses me again. I think I'm in love.