Amortentia Mishap

Harry recalls Malfoy's comments about his smell. Was it bad? He didn't assume so, it had never been a problem before. Then why was Malfoy commenting on it to him?

Next time they were in Hogsmede, he decided, he would find a new cologne. Lucky for him, the next trip would be this weekend.

A small voice at the back of his mind asked why he cared so much, but the rest of him silenced that part, too wrapped up in pleasing the other boy to care. He would just ask Hermione to help while they were there. Now all that was left to do was wait.

X.x.x.X

He spoke to Hermione about it the night before the trip. He didn't tell her why, but he assumed she knew by the look on her face.

At the shop, which sold different potions and, as Harry so eloquently put it, "smelly stuff," Hermione made quick work of finding him a new scent. He stood there awkwardly as she picked up bottles and smelled them, mumbling incoherently to herself. She decided on a vanilla scent that smelled distinctly like Christmas to Harry.

As he was paying, he saw Hermione buy something as well. As many times as he asked, though, she wouldn't tell him what it was.

X.x.x.X

The next day, Harry went up to Malfoy, as he was picking a fight with him anyway, to see what he thought (though he would never admit that to anyone).

Before he could get a word in, the blond's nose was curled in disgust. "Merlin, Potter, that's even worse," he exclaimed, amusement clear in his voice. Crabbe and Goyle laugh monotonously as they walk behind Malfoy as he walks away.

Harry huffs and looks to Hermione. "Come on Harry. I have another idea. But for now we have class."

It wasn't until late that night that he found out what that idea was. Hermione came down to meet him and Ron in the common room. She had a small vile in her hand. She opened it without a word and put it under Ron's nose, telling him to smell.

"Why are you making me smell your perfume, 'Mione?" He asks, a crease in his brow. "I hope you don't expect Harry to wear that to impress Malfoy."

She goes beet red and stares at him, a slight smile pulling at her lips. "It's amortentia, Ron. You smell your favorite scent." Ron goes silent and stares, looking bashful and embarrassed.

She clears her throat and looks at Harry. "Now he can't say you smell bad. It's different for everyone, so he will smell his favorite thing." He takes it from her outstretched hand and nods, standing to head to his dorm.

"I'll just leave you two alone...you have some things to talk about." He walks up the stairs with a smirk, hearing Ron try to take his previous words out of the air, before he is silenced by him shutting their room door.

"Neville, Seamus, I believe I'm owed some money."

X.x.x.X

For the first time ever, Harry is excited for Potions with the Slytherins. The entire way there from the Great Hall, people ask him what cologne he's wearing, and smell him, making him feel more than a little awkward. He doesn't pay attention to what he smells, not caring enough to know. He walks up to Malfoy when he sees him.

"How do I smell today, Malfoy?" He asks, a cocky smile on his face, not even embarrassed by the odd question. Ron and Hermione stand behind them, holding hands. Hermione smiles like she's in on a secret that nobody else knows.

Malfoy raises an eyebrow at him. "What are you on about, Potter? You smell as you usually do." Before Harry can say anything, Snape opens the doors and herds the students in the class.