Chapter Nine

"Wha-what do you mean she's gone?" curiosity burned in Cassie's eyes, but she tried not to sound too desperate, so as not to scare the little boy away.  She inched a bit closer  him as she waited for his reply.

Before he could say anything, his mother came behind him and placed her hand on the back of his wheelchair "let's go home sweetheart," she cooed, and then she gave Cassie a warm smile before rolling him away.

Cassie smiled back at her and waved at the boy before getting off her knees and walking to the reception desk. 

The receptionist looked up at her and smiled, patiently waiting for Cassie to make an inquiry or complaint. Cassie opened her mouth but no words followed. As she looked closely at the receptionist all she could remember was the old one; the one that tried to kill her, and she couldn't help but wonder if the hospital was full of mistakes, or if Freetown was full of mistakes when it came to positioning people in places that had to do with safety. She wondered if the new receptionist was another mistake or if the doctors were a mistake. She also wondered if the security in the hospital were a mistake, because if all those people were mistakes then it might not have been a mistake that a patient had gone missing; a patient she was certain was Brianna.

"Can I help you please, miss?" the receptionist asked once she felt she had waited enough for Cassie. Cassie once again opened her mouth to speak, but she did not know if any of her questions would make sense. Through her peripheral vision, she caught sight of a doctor and thought to herself that the doctor would offer her more help. She assumed that the receptionist will only say 'I don't have that information,' or 'I am not authorized to give out that information.'

"I'm sorry, I was going to ask to see my sick cousin, but I think I'll come back tomorrow instead," She said, and then she quickly walked away once she noticed the doctor leaving.

She picked up her pace and walked to him, she cleared her throat loudly once she was close enough, that didn't seem to get his attention as so she said, "excuse me ,doctor." That caught his attention! He turned around,  he had a clipboard resting in his hand.  She noticed that he looked stressed; he had wrinkles around his eyes, his appearance was slightly slovenly, it made her wonder how he was even allowed to treat patients with the way he looked. The look of stress on his face made her happy because she knew that it was either he was stressed from some sort of surgery, or he was stressed because a patient had gone missing from the hospital. She hoped the latter was the reason.

"I'm sorry, I can't chat now, I have important issues to get to," he said before walking away. She followed him.

"It'll only take a minute," she pressed.

"In a minute, a patient could die, you wouldn't want to be the reason someone dies now would you?" He started walking again.

She knew he was just saying that to get her out of his way "I know a patient is missing, and something tells me it's the patient who was brought in yesterday," she called out and then he stopped. She had caught his attention. She noticed him quickly looking around to check if anyone else heard what she uttered. "This hospital was in trouble two years ago because a staff at this establishment almost took my life," he then turned around and took a good look and her, his eyes widened once he recognized her from the papers two years ago "do you think people will feel safe if they know that there's a possibility that the patient was kidnapped?"

"The patient ran away," the doctor said, sternly.

Cassie nodded her head, "that's not what I'm going to tell the hungry reporters. When people are hungry, they go for the juiciest meat," she stepped forward "now, which story do you think is juicier?  A Woman escapes from Freetown hospital, or woman gets kidnapped from Freetown  hospital a day after getting shot?" she narrowed her eyes at him.