Meaning of Mates and Family History

Sahara’s POV: 

As the sun bean to fall in the sky, I really began to miss Ryker. While I was having fun with Steph, watching TV and making fun of stupid characters, there was this unexplainable ache deep in my chest that screamed out for Ryker. The ache hurt particularly badly when Steph’s mate, Austin, came into check on her.

Austin was about Ryker’s size, if not a bit broader in the shoulders. He had blue eyes that almost matched Steph’s color. His hair was a darker blond and cut shorter than Ryker’s. 

“You must be Sahara. Ryker has told me about you.” Austin told me, shaking my hand. 

At the mention of Ryker my heart again ached, calling out for him. Where this ache had come from was lost on me. I had felt nothing but disdain for him until the night at his privet home. Had it been cooking with him, or maybe it was because we slept in the same bed. Surely it couldn’t be when he freaked out on me, I thought to myself. 

Steph spoke up for me getting the feeling that I was lost in my own little world, “Yeah, we were just taking about how close they’re going to get over the next few days.” Steph looked over at me. I assume that what she saw told her who I was missing, “And Sahara wanted to talk to him, so I was wondering if you could go and find him for her? Please…” She asked in a voice fit for a two year old. 

Austin smiled and placed his thumb on her pouty lower lip and the rest of his hand curled around her chin, “I’ll go find him for her, but I expect a reward when I get back,” He finished with a mischievous grin.

When Austin came back through the door a nervous looking Ryker followed in behind. As soon as he got all the way through the door, Steph’s eyes became covered with a film of rage that would make an army of 5,000 men cower. She got right in Ryker’s face and whispered in a voice that I should have never been able to hear, but for some reason I could pick up on every harsh word. 

“What the hell are you doing coming in here with that slut’s sent all over you? Just because she can’t tell gives you no reason to think that you’re allowed to cheat on her. If anything it should make you want to stay more loyal because of her skepticism of you. Why would you chance your relationship with her? You’re a sham of a mate.” She finished stomping her foot.

He got right down in her face and with a growl in his voice that made goose bumps arise all over my skin, he threatened, “What goes on between my mate and I is none of your business.”

Tears pooled in my eyes at his words. I had started to think that he was something different. Someone who would love and take care of me, heart and soul, but I could see that I was wrong. 

Austin spoke up, “Think of who can hear you bud.”

Ryker whipped his head around to face me, now realizing what I had heard. As soon as he saw the tears in my eyes he made slow movements towards me, but I moved back at the same pace.

“Why?” I asked him my voice weak.

“Sweetheart,” he said calming as though trying not to spook me, “Nothing happened. She bumped in to me in the hallway.”

“But she told me that you wanted her. That you didn’t want a human mate who would cost you your alpha ship.”

“Sweetheart, I would never give you up, your my heart and soul.” He told me pulling me into his arms. 

I placed my head on his shoulder, and sighed deeply, “I missed you.”

“We should probably leave,” Austin told Steph. 

“Yes you should.” Ryker responded. 

Quietly they walked out of the room so that it was only Ryker and me. “I need to talk to you about some things.” Ryker whispered to me. 

A wave of worry washed over me. “No need to fret, nothing bad his happened actually. Something amazing might have occurred.” He paused for a moment before beginning again, “there is a possibility that you might be a hybrid, half werewolf, half human.” 

“Why would you think that?”

“Your hearing is much too strong for an average human, and never before has a pure human been mated to an alpha, not to say that you couldn’t be the first. Hybrids historically take longer to have their first change or even show signs of being a werewolf. ”

“Do you think that my father was a werewolf?”

“No though he seemed to have the temper of one. No I think that your mother might have been a werewolf. I was wondering if you could tell me something about her.”

Ryker’s POV:

As I presented the idea that she was a hybrid, it rang true in my ears. She was defiantly one of us I had no doubt in my mind, and when she began to describe her mother my suspicions were more or less confirmed. 

“She loved the woods. I was young when she had my father move us out to our home in the middle of the forest. She would go off on little walks by herself a lot. She said that she needed time with nature to keep her sane.“

I assumed, looking from the lens of her mother being a werewolf, that Sahara’s mother’s alone time had been her time shifting. Every wolf had to shift often or they would go mad from their wolf being so pent up, and all wolves had a strong bond with nature, one that could not be denied. 

“When I was in the fourth grade the doctors discovered that she had cancer. She refused to take any treatment. She didn’t like the hospital. She had me at home, and she died at home. I don’t ever remember her staying more than 12 hours in the hospital.” 

Wolves could not be in the hospital for long before a doctor would realize that our healing abilities. It was something that was drilled into us from childhood onward. As soon as you were able to get out of the hospital, you got out. Contrary to popular belief werewolves could get cancer, but no like humans. Ours was brought on because of an over exposer to certain silver compounds that were toxic to werewolves. 

“My father loved her so much and she loved him equally. He sold his company so that he could spend more time with her. She loved me a lot too. She always called me her miracle. When I asked her why, she always said that I was a blessing and that I should never forget.”

Sahara’s mother had most likely completed a waning moon mating bond with her father. It was a ritual for females with human mates. It allowed them to mark their mates even if they were human, but that bond wasn’t as strong as the normal bond. The real reason behind the nickname miracle was probably because her mother never expected to have a child. The possibility of a hybrid was so rare; she had possibly given up on children. 

“Sahara, what was your mother’s maiden name?”

“Catharine Foret” 

It couldn’t be.

Have fun with the clift hanger! Vote comment! Talk to ya’ll soon!