Chapter 29: Written Exam

Start from the beginning

"Wait what?"

I'm not the only one who exclaimed my surprise and protest.

"That's shit, man! Plenty of people here have taken the exam before!"

One of the Konoha shinobi who were with Naruto before says. He's got a dog on his head and is wearing a grey hoodie with black fur at its extremities.

"Maybe you guys are just unlucky."

Ibiki smiles creepily.

"This year is my first as a Chunin exams proctor. It's the first time I apply my own rules. If you bastards are not confident, then, by all means, find the door and get out. I'll be giving the question after everyone's made their mind. Those who want to forfeit, raise your hand and leave."

Right after he finishes talking, a bunch of contestants start leaving. These are pretty harsh rules. If I wasn't fully confident of my abilities, I'd probably leave too. Besides, I have a mission. All of us Sunagakure Genin have the same mission. We have to last as much as possible in these exams.

To my surprise, Naruto raises his hand. I kind of feel disappointed for some reason. He then slaps it down on his desk, startling me. His eyes seem full of confidence and determination.

"Don't underestimate me! My name is Uzumaki Naruto and I swear that I'll become Hokage! A stupid question won't hold me back! Even if I get stuck as a Genin my whole life, I'll still become Hokage!"

That guy's got guts! Either that or he's stupid. It brings a smile to my lips, but I then lower my gaze. I'm feeling more and more guilt about this mission. If these were other circumstances, I'm sure I would've become friends with Naruto and the rest of them. They all seem like really nice people.

After what Naruto said, no one else got up. He gave them hope.

"I admire your determination. For those of you who stayed, I have one thing left to tell you... You all pass."

...Huh?

"Hold on! Where's the tenth question?"

The pink haired girl says. Ibiki then smiles at us.

"The tenth question was whether or not you decide to stay. The fact that all of you chose to stay was the right answer."

"Wait a second! Are you saying that this whole written test was a waste of time?"

Temari sounds outraged. If I knew that, I wouldn't have made any effort to answer these questions...

"Actually, these questions were to test your ability to gather information without getting caught. This is a very valuable skill for a ninja."

So... we were supposed to cheat! I guess I did that part right.

"To be perfectly honest with you, some Chunin were disguised as contestants among you to provide you with the correct answers, since these questions were far too hard for Genin. The reason why the scores are added up together as a team was to see how you handled yourself under pressure, knowing that your decision didn't just affect you, but your teammates as well. Of course, you had to make sure you didn't get caught. Better not cheat at all, than make yourself wide open."

Ibiki then removes his bandana. Under it, his head is covered in scars and burns. I flinch at the sight.

"Information can be very valuable, but you have to know how to handle it and obtain it well. It can be the difference between life and death. You also have to consider the source of your information. Maybe the enemy is just trying to lure you with false information. You have to always be one step ahead. Bad information can lead to the death of your teammates and to your own death."

He then puts the bandana back on.

"I get that part, but what was the tenth question's point?"

Temari keeps asking the questions I have in mind before I even have them in mind.

"The point? It's the point of the whole exam! I gave you two choices. The first was to avoid all danger and save yourself, at the expense of your teammates. The second was to go through the risk of failing. This is the type of decision Chunin have to make every day. Let's say you have a mission where you have to retrieve an important document. You have no idea how many enemy ninja there are, and have reason to believe that a trap is laid out for you. Do you abandon the mission? The answer is no. It might be a suicidal mission if you think about it, but you do it anyway. Discipline is what makes a ninja. If you choose the safer path, you will never become a Chunin. If you choose to save yourself at the expense of your teammates, then you don't deserve the title of Chunin, let alone the title of shinobi. Hesitation in the face of danger, worrying about your own well-being, will be fatal. I congratulate you. You have passed all of my tests, and I am proud to say that you passed the first part of the Chunin exam."

A suicide mission... I hesitated in front of the danger, and put my teammates in jeopardy. Can I really call myself a ninja at this point?