Chapter 2 - Breakfast

Hi! I realize that the last chapter was a little short, so here is a much longer one.

Broth-er

Noun (bruhth-er)

A person who is there when you need him;

Someone who picks you up when you fall;

A person who sticks up for you when no one else will;

A brother is always a friend.

-Unknown

Chapter 2

I hurried to the dining room, nodding to servants and maids as I walked, smiling at each. After a few twists, turns, and stairs, I was at the large oak doors to the dining room. I could hear voices, which probably meant that my family was already there. I sighed to myself. If they were there already I wouldn't be able to eat what I wanted to, nor in the amounts I wanted to. Oh well. I would get the cooks to send up some food to my room later. I pushed open the door and walked in, but after a few steps, I had to stop and take in the scene before me. Right in the middle of the room was the oak table and chairs, just as they should be. The decorations were all on their proper places on the walls, which was a good sign. There were platters of food on the table, and half full plates and cups on there as well. However, the only person sitting down at the table was my mother, who was at the head of the table, as always. She was calmly eating her biscuit; seemingly oblivious to the chaos around her. To my left, were my two younger brothers, the twins, Fred and Connor. They are identical twins, who, at twelve years old, we're already a good four inches taller than me, putting them at 5' 6". They have curly dark brown hair cut just above their ears; and bright blue eyes, though not as bright as mine. They had pulled a chair beside the doors, and Connor was standing on Fred's shoulders, trying to make a trap for the next person who opened the door. I will spare you the details, but let's just say it involved a bucket of water. Thankfully for me, they had not gotten it in place before I came in, and they were currently frozen in place, staring at me; and trying to think up of a good explanation for what they were doing. I smiled sweetly at them, because for their whole lives, they had been trying to successfully prank me, and so far had not gotten me once, my older brothers tried to prank me as well, but they have never been successful either. I quickly stepped out of their range. Above the table there is a silver chandelier, or at least, there was supposed to be one there. Instead, I found it in the middle of the table, not broken anywhere but the chain, which looked like it had been cut clean through. Thankfully, the table wasn't broken either. My father was next to the table with an angry expression on his face, and he was lecturing Michael and Aaron, twenty and eighteen respectively. I assumed that they had been fooling around with another one of their inventions and had cut the chain by accident. My father has copper hair, and freckles, and so it was no question where my hair and freckles had come from. He's quite tall, 6' 2", but Michael and Aaron are both taller than him at 6' 7" and 6' 6". They both have the same red hair and freckles as my father and I. I looked at their feet and saw the invention in question, it looked like a blimp with propellers and an ax attached. It seemed to come with a remote control, which, by the looks of it, had been stomped on by father. It's a good thing that we were dining in the light from the large windows, otherwise there would have been a fire for sure. The doors on the right opened, and my oldest brother, Eric, walked in with a couple of buff servants. They started removing the chandelier from the table, I guess we will be eating by torch light for a while, at least until someone fixes the chain. Eric is twenty-two, and he is 6' 7", with glasses covering his bright green eyes, and the same unruly dark brown hair as the twins. I'm not sure why he wears glasses, it's not like he needs them or anything. He probably thinks they make him look smarter and more mature. My brain processed all of this for a moment. It was a relatively calm morning. Trust me, you do not want to be around when it's bad.