.08

After Josh and Devin left for the hospital, I was left with Ryan and Vinny. About an hour after we were alone, Chris showed up. You could hear him storming in from a mile away. Someone was in the copier room and saw him come out of the elevator. They unplugged the scanning machine and yelled that they needed help. Surprisingly, Chris took the bait and tried to fix the thing while they texted a warning to another employee, who screamed it to all of us. Everyone panicked to make themselves look busy. Ryan rushed to hide Vinny and I. He ended up stuffing us under the giant bean bag. I practically suffocated and Vinny was having a panic attack, terrified that Chris would skin him alive or some other fucked up shit. After a whole lot of screaming, swearing and the thump of someone hitting the floor.

"Okay guys, it's clear." Ryan slurred, uncovering Vinny and I. I left hiding first, quickly helping my witness protection partner out too. He collapsed against my chest, his small body still shaking. I helped him lay down in front of the gaming system, setting it up and trying to distract him. Once he was better, I turned back to Ryan.

"Oh fuck." I huffed under my breath. Ryan had obviously taken a beating from Chris. Literally. Blood dripped from his nose and lip. The side of his face was already starting to bruise.

"I'm fine." Ryan sputtered, the red liquid spraying from his mouth as he spoke. I grabbed him by the upper arms, holding him up straight. He wiped his face with the back of his hand, his head still partially limp.

"Let's get you cleaned up." I coaxed, walking Ryan to the kitchen area. I had him sit on the counter as I wet a ball of paper towels and started to scrub away the caked on blood. He winced as I touched the bruises.

"Can you just give me ice and Advil, Mr.Nurse?" Ryan hissed as I continued to poke and prod his face, trying to feel if there were any breaks. I sighed as I started to search the cabinets. Eventually I found a Ziploc bag and I filled it with frozen water cubes. I handed it over to Ryan and he immediately pressed it to his head.

"So how many times have you stitched yourself back together after a close encounter of Chris' kind?" Ryan quizzed. I sighed as he hopped off the counter and limped away. I followed after him, trying to make him sit back down.

"Enough that I have prescription painkillers in my car and my therapist on speed dial." I sighed, trying to lighten the mood but still give a serious answer.  Ryan laid down next to Vinny. Both of them were pretty relaxed now, as if this wasn't a first time. Vinny played some shooting game, not moving anything but his hands on the controller. Ryan had the ice on his face, trying to block out the light. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and checked the time, seeing that it was 4:09 pm. 

"I have to go to work... will one of you guys tell Devin?" I asked, already walking to the door. Ryan gave me a thumbs up and I quickly left. Someone held the elevator for me, giving me a smile. I whispered a quick 'thank you' as we waited until we were in the parking garage. We went our separate ways. I rushed on my way out, considering that it's about a 30 minute drive to work plus there'll be traffic and I need to be there as early as possible to help train a new guy.

I pulled into the parking lot at 6:16, quickly parking and jogging in through the back door. I immediately opened my locker and changed into my company shirt. I tied my apron around my waist and slipped my phone into it. I ran through the kitchen and behind the bar, quickly grabbing a towel and tucking it into my waistband. I washed my hands before intruding on Angelo and the trainee.

"Hi, I'm Ricky." I said as I shook his hand and pushed my hair behind my ear.

"I'm Tj." He responded as Angelo kept pulling different glasses and bottles off the shelves. I watched, occasionally giving input or giving him a tip on how to remember certain things. Other employees cleaned tables or started cooking.