i. DOES IT HURT?

Bucky stumbles into the med bay clutching his abdomen tightly through his blood stained shirt. "What happened?" You rush to assist him, being the only S.H.I.E.L.D nurse still in the med bay. It was an understatement to say that you'd gotten familiar with Bucky Barnes considering he'd turn up every other day with injuries ranging from a paper cut to a broken bone. Many of the other nurses insisted that he only ever got injured so he could come visit you (especially considering he's the only field agent that asks for a doctor's assistance with a tummy ache) but you claimed that he only ever flirted with you playfully and that it meant nothing. But you didn't really want it to mean nothing.

"I needed a reason to see my best girl so I thought I'd get myself shot." Bucky remarked, easing through the pain. "Lay down." He does as you say and you rush around the room searching for all the right equipment. Once it's all gathered you seat yourself beside Bucky and lift his shirt to observe his wound. At sight of the bloody mess you remark a whispered "Jesus..."

"Speaking of, are we going to have a church wedding or do you want it on the beach or something like that?" he questions and you look at him in astonishment, wondering how he could be so calm and feel such little pain during a time like this. "Not now, Buck."

"Why not? Are you afraid of commitment?"

"Don't you ever take anything seriously?" you snap and Bucky opens one eye to view your frustrated expression and he can't help but smile at how cute it is. "Calm down, doll, I'll be fine." You ignore his nonchalant comment and continue working on extracting the bullet and stitching up the gaping wound. On the first stitch, you hear Bucky wince in pain and you stop immediately, looking to him with wide eyes. "I'm sorry, does it hurt? I'm so sorry." you rush trying to make the procedure move as fast yet as pain-free as possible. Bucky's hand reaches over to cup one side of your face and he brushes some hair away. The simple gesture makes you feel enough courage to finish and soon enough, Bucky is all stitched up and clean.

-

"So remember when I almost died just then?" Bucky asks, several minutes later, sitting up on the bed. You look up from your work and at him, a small smile threatening to peek through. "Well I bet I could tell you what you were thinking." You gesture for him to continue and he takes your hand in his and turns to face you.

"You were thinking 'I can't believe this idiot is about to die on me, we haven't even gone on a date yet' and let me tell you. That's 100% true. So..."

"So..." you push for him to continue. "We're going on a date tomorrow. I'll pick you up from here at 8."

"Buck, I have to be here at 8 for work. My boss would kill me if I asked for time off."

"And I have a metal arm so I will actually kill him if he doesn't give you time off." You chuckle at his remark and his eyes light up realising you found that funny. "I'll see you tomorrow at 8, doll." You nod and attempt to stand up to leave and return to work but Bucky tugs on your sleeve.

"That's all you're leaving me with?" he smirks and gestures for you to kiss his cheek. You pull his face towards you and kiss him on the lips instead making his cheeks flush. "I'll see you, Buck."