Chapter 16

The blaring sound of my phone ringing woke me from my sleep. It sat on the table beside Michael who I was still curled up to. I sleepily reached over him, collapsing on his chest. I answered the phone without even checking who was calling.

"Hello?" I manage to speak through my tired voice.

"Who's calling you?" Michael suddenly asked, resting his hand on my back. His voice was husky, it was obvious that the noise had woken him up too.

"Maddie, who's at the house?" I heard my mother's stern tone through the other end. I shot up off of Michael's chest and widened my eyes.

"Who is-" I cut him off, placing my hand over his mouth. I gave him a panicked look which he instantly returned.

"Um," I began speaking again. "It's Julia. She woke up from my phone ringing."

"I thought she was on her mission trip?" My mom questioned me. I took my hand off Michael's mouth, putting a finger up to my lips to shush him. 

"Oh yeah, well, uh, she got back early and I let her crash here last night." I lied as my voice became timid. 

There was a short silence which made me worry even more. If she would've found that I was sleeping on our couch with a boy she's met once and who has a bit of "reputation", then she would probably never let me see sunlight again, whether she liked him or not. 

"Alright, well it seems like you girls are tired." She warily said. I breathed a quiet sigh of relief, putting a hand over my chest. "Sorry for the early call, wanted to talk before work. Love you and I'll be home this weekend. I'm excited to come back."

"I'm excited too." I genuinely smiled. "Love you, bye." I hung up quickly and threw my phone to the chair next to me. I groaned loudly, not caring how loud I was now that Michael was awake from the scene.

I had somehow managed to have my legs thrown over his chest, since he was laying on his back. I leaned against the back of the sofa, pushing my fallen hair from my sleep out of my face.

I flinched at the feeling of his cool finger tips trailing up and down the side of my thigh. I peered down at him, slowly picking my head back up from the wall. 

One of his hands was on my leg while the other was tucked behind his head, showing off his tattoo. He kept his focus on the irregular shapes that his fingers were drawing on me. He had a concentrated look on his face. He lightly bit the insides of his lips, occasionally running the tip of his tongue over his bottom one. 

"What was that about?" He questioned after seemingly collecting his thoughts.

"That was my mom." I answered instantly.

"Oh shit."

"Oh shit is right. If she found out you stayed she would've-"

"I thought she liked me?" He looked up at me with the same tired eyes he had last night.

"I didn't mean it like that. She does like you, a lot actually. She's just very protective of me when it comes to guys and stuff. She just doesn't want to see me get hurt like she did." I subtly hinted towards my father. I gazed at the tingling he brought on my leg. 

He didn't reply which I took as he understood what I meant. I liked how simple he made things. I liked how he didn't have to clarify everything. Obviously we did fight over a few things, but those things actually needed to be clarified. 

I clumsily hopped off of him, picking up my phone and trudging to the kitchen. It was already morning so why not get up and start my day? I pulled a bowl from the cabinets and cereal from the pantry, pouring myself some breakfast.