Chapter 16

Macey’s POV

Heart still thudding 120 miles per hour I walked down and since I am the biggest clumsiest klutz ever, I tripped over the last step and ended up on the floor, on my face. It hurt. Suddenly I heard laughter coming right at me. I turned on my butt and sat on the floor as I saw Emma, Ashley, Shay and Zoë rush towards me and engulf with me with a giant bear hug. ‘Guys, guys kind of suffocating.’

‘Sorry Macey’ all said in perfect sync. ‘We missed you.’ Ashley said as she hugged me once more, ‘and we’re glad you didn’t lose your clumsiness.’ Hugging some more and laughing a lot more, I was feeling a lot better than I had in ages, suddenly Aunt Bea came in the corridor and saw all 5 of us on the floor, with a weird , motherly look she told us to get in.

Inside the living room I had even more hugs from Jace, Nate and Danny and then finally a massive bear hug from Aunt Bea and Emma’s dad (I still didn’t know what to call him) at last I saw Aunt Chloe and she looked so relieved at seeing me laughing and smiling. We sat down and had dinner, and I finally felt at home, I didn’t see Noah or Charlotte throughout dinner and I didn’t bother asking nor anyone decided to enlighten me, and I liked it that way.

After we ate and cleared up the girls and I went in to the garden. We sat around the porch tables drinking hot chocolate that Emma’s mom made, it tasted absolutely amazing. After a while they told me about how they found me and how Leo had saved me, they then filled me on Leo. That he was Emma and Ashley’s cousin, he lived with them since he was a young age, his parents had died, and about his mate, Katie. I finally understood the grief and pain in his eyes, those sorrowful eyes which looked as if they didn’t belong to a seventeen year old.

‘But Macey, enough talking, you better get some rest.’

‘I'm fine, seriously.’

‘Erm you just recovered from something seriously hard, you need all the rest, come on we’ll take you to your haven.’ Ashley said with a smile.

I reluctantly got up and followed them to Leo’s room, ‘hey isn’t there a somewhere else I can sleep, I feel bad invading Leo’s room.’

‘Nah, Leo offered his room, and he’s fine with it. Now go in there, take a shower, and sleep,’ ordered Zoë. I smiled at them, glad I had all of them; I hugged them in turn and entered my room for the foreseeable future.

The rays of the sun burst through the curtains as my eyes blinked open at the sound of a thud and a ‘oh shit.’ I sat up quickly to see Leo on the floor. He quickly regained his composure and got up, ‘sorry Macey, was just grabbing some clothes and I kinda erm, tripped.’ His sheepish smile made me laugh my head off, soon he joined in too and we were both heartedly laughing like idiots. Suddenly, ‘Count on You’ by Big Time Rush blasted from my phone, my alarm going off. The lyrics blasted out loud in to the room,

Now I’m about to give you my heart
But remember this one thing
I’ve never been in love before
So you gotta go easy on me

I heard love is dangerous
Once you fall you never get enough
But the thought of you leaving
Ain’t so easy for me

Don’t hurt me
Desert me
Don’t give up on me
What would I wanna do that for?
Don’t use me
Take advantage of me
Make me sorry I ever counted on you
1, 2, 3, 4 to the 5, baby, I'm counting on you 

I got out of my trance and reached for my phone and turned the alarm off, silenced filled the room and I bit my lip, a habit when I was nervous. I looked up and gave an awkward smile. ‘Nice ringtone.’ He smirked, ‘what can I say; I'm a sucker for cute guys in tuxes who have amazing voices.’  A genuine smile came on his face then and the awkwardness in the air disappeared just like that. ‘I’ll see ya later Macey.’ And with a wave he closed the door behind him.

Arrghgghh, I'm such an idiot, I knew I should have put the alarm tone as a cockerel. At least then I wouldn’t have had a movie cliché moment, urgh I screamed again in to my pillow and got out of bed. I went in to the bathroom and looked in the mirror to see my cheeks flaming red, great it’s only six thirty in the morning and I already embarrassed myself. At least my bruises were getting better.

Leo’s POV

Man, she looked amazing first thing in the morning and even more beautiful when she blushed. And that stupid cliché moment we had in there; had to be fake. I mean…I mean….urgh my head hurts.

Macey;s POV

Around the breakfast table a sudden realization hit me, ‘hey guys what did you tell the school about why I’ve been absent.’

‘Oh we told them you had chicken pox.’ Emma enlightened me, ‘what, and they beleievd you.’

Laughing Ashley said, ‘yeah your aunt phoned up and said you had a heavy case of chicken pox, and that you didn’t have them when you were younger because you were a, quote, ‘social pariah and you didn’t mix well with other kids.’

I started to choke, ‘what, a social pariah, you have got to be kidding me, please tell me she didn’t actually say that.’ I looked around the table worryingly and saw them all burst out laughing, ‘nah we told them you fell of the stairs and couldn’t come to school.’

I tutted at them but soon joined in laughing, if you can’t beat them, join them right.

I waved Leo, Ashley and Emma to school, their dad to an official Alpha meeting somewhere in town and Aunt Bea to the shops. Aunt Chloe had already left before I came down for breakfast, but she had told me last night that she didn’t want me going in to school for a while longer. I finally jumped back on the sofa and flicked the TV on, One Tree Hill was on and Chad Michael Murray was looking exceptionally cute. I relaxed back when I heard the door open and smashed close. I got up to see who was there, highly alert when my eyes met Noah’s.

It was my first time seeing Noah since I had woken up and had been Rejected, I felt suffocated and as if I couldn’t breathe. ‘Hey,’ he offered with a glum smile. ‘Hi’ I said back, a little of the heart ache coming back to haunt me. We stood there for a while until I decided to walk away, choosing to daydream in front of the television than to go through pain whilst standing so close to Noah; and by walking away I also rejected the urge to kick the bastard where it would really kill hurt him.