Chapter Five

I couldn’t believe it.

Somehow or another I had gotten to the park far too fast.

 How was that speed possible?

I hadn’t even broken a sweat.

I smiled - I wondered what Emily and Diane would think…wait…could I tell them?

Would they think I’m crazy?

I decided to keep it to myself for awhile while I tried to figure out a better plan.

This was unreal.

I sat down on the bench and shivered as a cool breeze blew by, rippling the surface of the pond.

It was so quiet and peaceful here – the only sound was the whisper of the breeze in the leaves and the soft croaking of the bullfrogs and chirping of crickets.

The air was so fresh and crisp, and as the breeze spread two branches I glimpsed the bright stars.

A few fireflies flew by and I curled up on the bench, bringing my knees up against my chest and wrapping one of my arms around them, using the other one as a pillow.

Somewhere far off an owl hooted.

I watched the fireflies for as long as my eyes would stay open, drifting off into a peaceful and quiet sleep.

I awoke in my own bed with the sun streaming through the window.

Had that been a dream?

Or…

I got up, my sore feet hitting the cold floor and I immediately knew it had not been a dream.

That and I was still in my dress.

So what happened?

How did I get home?

Did I walk home?

I glanced around…something was off.

Something was really off.

I jumped up and spun around, my eyes scanning for whatever it was that had set me off but my mind still not awake enough yet to really process anything.

I ran for the door, but…the door was locked.

Was that it, or was I just nuts?

I pressed my back against the door and slid down it, trying to get my breathing under control.

There was always the window.

Yes!

That’s it!

I’ll climb out the window!

It’s not like I’ve never done that before – who hasn’t sneaked out their window?

I ran to the closet and grabbed some jeans and a random t-shirt, hurrying.

I stopped when I heard something from downstairs, my t-shirt half on.

“You know you can’t do this! It’s not right. I raised her for sixteen years, John, she’s more mine than yours,” My mom’s voice.

“Yes, Jan, I know you’re upset and I’d be worried if you weren’t. But she is my daughter, Jan, and it’s about time I started acting like it,” My…Dad’s…voice.

“But John, you don’t even know for sure. Can’t you just wait?”

“No Jan, I know. I saw it for myself – you saw it. She’s got more me in her than I ever thought. She’s got powers, Jan. She can’t stay here. She has to have someone to teach her.”

“John…I know I just adopted her but…can’t she stay here? You can too, I mean…”

I just adopted her…

I just adopted her…

I just adopted her?

I just adopted her?!?!?!

Oh my God…I’m…adopted?!?

I pulled the t-shirt the rest of the way over my head, numb.

What a blow.

My dead father is alive and my mom isn’t my mom.

This has to be some sort of cruel joke…but then again I didn’t think so, I just didn’t want it to be real.

What had happened to my life?

I grabbed a few necessities and stuffed them in my purse.

I would never come back here, never be stuck with a mom that isn’t my mom and a dad that has been dead all my life.

NEVER!!!

I practically ran to the window, flinging it open and straddling the sill as fast as I could, without my new “powers”, anyway.

I climbed down quickly, ignoring the raised voices downstairs this time.

I didn’t want to hear what they had to say.

I was halfway down the backstreet when someone grabbed me from behind, covering my mouth and nose with a fowl smelling cloth before I could scream.

              I tried my best to pull it away, clawing and throwing punches behind me, but I was just too          

               weak…                   

               And then I didn’t care anymore.