Chapter 7

"YOU'RE WHERE?"

Lindsey winced at her sister's shrill voice. She was beginning to regret calling her. But if she hadn't then she would be stuck walking home in the rain that was steadily pounding against her hospital room's window. Lindsey watched in awe as the white outline of the lightning appeared against the shades of her window. The crackle pierced the air soon after.

"Hospital," Lindsey said remembering what she was doing, "I'm in the hospital."

"YEAH GOT THAT. BUT WHY ARE YOU THERE?"

"I, uh," Lindsey paused trying to come up with a believable lie, "Er-"

"We're you not sleeping again?" Lois asked her voice becoming quiet.

Lindsey went silent.

This had happened before. Her not sleeping that is. Not so bad that she had gone to the hospital, mind you, but yes it had gotten very bad. So bad that she missed two days of school until she was able to get back on her feet. Her parents had actually seems to care for once. Lois had acted like the elder sister she was supposed to be. It had been so reassuring knowing that someone cared for her.

"Yes," Lindsey replied quietly.

"Oh Lindz," Lois said using a nickname for her sister that she hadn't used in over a decade, "I'm coming over now, what's your room number?"

"Lois, don't bother. You don't have to-"

"Lindsey, what's your room number?" Lois said in a voice that left no room for argument.

"7437," Lindsey replied meekly.

"I'll be there in ten."

Lindsey shifted uncomfortably in her bed and gently let her phone slip from her fingers. It barely bounced on the rock hard mattress. She closed her eyes tiredly and rubbed her face with the heels of her hands.

Lex was gonna kill her.

She sighed heavily and opened her eyes, staring directly in front of her. Something white peeked at her from the corner of her vision and turned her had to look. A pristine white envelope with her name clearly marked on the front stared back at her.

Lois blinked.

Who would leave a letter here for her?

Almost as soon as the question crossed her mind, the answer rose to her lips.

"What does Lex want now?" She muttered reaching over and picking up the opaque envelope.

Her name was written neatly on the front in an emerald ink. Carefully, Lindsey turned it around and gently tore open the back.

A perfect white letter slid out into her pale hands.

Written in a fancy, yet shaky script the letter read as follows,

Dearest Lindsey,

By the time you have read this, I will be gone. Not forever mind you, just for a short span of time. My sincerest apologies for the argument I must assume has already occurred. I have no doubt that you are infuriated with me for removing you from the project. However you must be made aware of the reason why. Your blatant fabrications on the subject matter of your health was of greatest pain to me. As my employee, oh how I am loathe to use such a term, perhaps colleague would serve to be a better label? Not that it matters, my dear, for the status of your health is my greatest concern. As you are probably already aware, two days have past since the break in at my lab.

That is another subject that we must approach at a later time. I am most aggrieved that you were viciously attacked by the Bat of Gotham. I do not hold you responsible for the loss of the Kryptonite for there was nothing you could have done. It is my sole wish that you have a speedy and holistic recovery.