Chapter 31 Love All Your Lies

Recap. ( Chapter 28 )

Liz gets a small vial filled with some kind of fluid which she pours on Nana's letter.

Chapter 31 Love All Your Lies

Liz's PoV

Secrets and lies are not very different. To keep a secret we lie. But at times we don't even know whether what we see is a lie or not.

I saw the drops fall on the letter.
I heard the crackling sound.
I saw the words written on the letter fade into nothing.
I heard the silence enveloping me.
I saw the truth come up.

The words written on the letter had given way to another series of illegible words and numbers.
Somehow I am unable to register what is happening. It's a complex set of numbers and beneath it Daisy is written.

It's weird. Daisy is Nana's locker's name. Yes my grandmother is one of those people who names each and everything and god forbid you don't address the thing with their respective names.

Prior it was a source of amusement. Now it's a source of confusion.

Why would Nana hide her locker numbers in a letter and go to such lengths to conceal it.

Though if I do recall Nana had always been very possessive about this locker.

Guess it's time to visit Mr Harris. Mr Harris was Nana's close friend and took up all her detective stuff post her death including Daisy the locker.

I stuffed the letter inside the drawer along with the vial and cleaned up the mess I had created.

I checked myself in the mirror, applied some lipgloss. I brushed my hair and gave myself a final once-over.

"I guess this is decent enough." I spoke to my reflection.

I grabbed my bag and mobile and went out of the house. Not wanting to tell my mom of my location I decided to walk up till there. I could use that exercise.

On second thoughts I dropped a text to Cassie about my whereabouts just in case mom suffered from another of her paranoid attacks.

It wasn't that I hated my mom. She is cool and all but somehow she lacks parenting skills. We used to have a great relationship but soon after the fallout between her and Nana, things started going down for us too.

I can still remember one of their major fights after which they never talked again.

"Why can't you understand that what I am trying to do is for your best?" Nana yelled.

I was sitting in my room but hearing the commotion I decided to peek out.

"No mom. You are doing what you always do. You are being selfish." My mom yelled back.

"Selfish!? I? Oh if only you knew the amount of sacrifice I make for you." Nana said.

"The sacrifice you make are for your benefit and no one else's. I have already lost too much because of your madness. Not anymore. I won't let you touch my family." My mom said.

"Aren't I your family too? You are not the only one who is worried about Eliza. I am doing all this for her. I am trying to bury years of hard work and sacrifice all for her. And for you!!" Nana yelled back.

"Oh of course you claim to care. Where were you during the time I was pregnant? You ran away mother! You just upped and left! If Jacob hadn't sacrificed his dreams to stay with me, I wouldn't have survived. You don't know how important Liz is for me!" Mom was heaving by the end of her rant.