one ; 001

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
-H. P. Lovecraft

Margo listened to the sound her heels made as they clacked down the hall of her apartment building. She hoped Steve would be home, that way he could make her some coffee. She had just gotten back from a simple mission, track this guy and tail him for a few days, and now she was tired.

She got her key out and was ready to unlock her door when she noticed it was open slightly, barely noticeable, but open nonetheless. Margo rolled her eyes and pulled the gun out of its holster on her hip. These people chose the wrong apartment to break into. Silently she pushed the door open and examined the space, it seemed the same as usual, besides the coffee mug on the counter. Weird, Steve never left anything out, and she doubted intruders would make themselves coffee. A noise behind her caused her to swivel on her heel and raise the gun, level to an elderly man's face.

"Who are you." Margo spoke coldly. She refused to put her gun down. He started to take a step forward but then stopped as the brunette steadied her aim.

"Relax, Ms. Larson. I mean you no harm." The mysterious man said. The emphasis he put on the word I made her nervous as she glanced around the room.

"Who are you?" She repeated, stressing each word to get her point across. He simply waved her off with a amused smirk on his face. The man glanced behind her, the movement was less than a second but Margo caught it, after all she trained her entire life for situations like these. Then she heard it, a light shuffling which gave her enough time to sidestep a heavy figure barreling towards her. The gleam of shiny metal caught her gaze. Her attacker had a metal arm. Half of his face was covered in mask, concealing his identity. He came towards her again and before she could react ripped the pistol from her grasp.

"Careful Soldier, we need her alive." The man said blandly as he watched the fight continue. He sat down as the masked man threw a punch at Margo, which she carefully dodged.

"Get your ass off my couch." Margo said as she flipped over the metal-armed man. Before she could hit the ground a cold metal hand grabbed the back of her neck. She brought her hands up in attempt to loosen his grip but failed, and failed yet again when she tried to kick him. His other hand grabbed her leg and lifted her off the ground. She felt herself fading in and out of consciousness as her oxygen supply was cut off. The man got off her couch and walked closer to Margo, who's main focus was attempting to breathe. She felt herself dying under this man's touch.

"Don't worry Margo." The man said with a calm tone. His words had the opposite effect on her, her panic levels rose higher and higher. And with a last ditch effort to save herself she swung a leg at the man, successfully kicking him in the face and making his nose bleed.

But then the grip on her neck got tighter, Margo didn't see how that was even possible without snapping her head off. The last thing she saw was the man's bloody face smiling widely at her.

The cold surrounded Margo, which bothered her because she's never been fond of being cold. She was still wearing her coat, but it was unzipped. Her arms were pinned to her side as she laid flat on a table. A brief moment of panic flooded her senses before she calmed herself down. Glancing around she saw the man that was in her apartment, his back was facing her as he worked on something on the counter.

"She's awake!" A young make scientist shrieked when he saw her moving. Margo shot him a glare, she didn't want to draw attention to herself.

"Ah, welcome Ms. Larson. I was hoping you'd be awake for this." His voice sent a chill down her spine and his words momentarily dazed her, but she wasn't prepared for the amount of pain that ripped through her body. It was as if someone lit her on fire and put a thousand knives into her skin. Again, she felt herself losing consciousness to the sheer amount of pain. The scream that tore through Margo caused a few of the people in the room to flinch, but again the man's smile only grew. Margo felt her chest tighten as room went black, and she felt herself fly forward. All at once, everything stopped as she blacked out again.

Margo let out a groan as she opened her eyes. The dull thudding in her head caused her to sit still for a minute before the previous events shot through her head. She sat up straight, and saw she was in an alleyway. People walked down the street, but what caught her attention was the clothes. The women were wearing dresses and the men dressed up nice, it looked all to old fashioned for it to be anywhere near her apartment.

"Where am I?" She voiced aloud as she spun around. It looked like she was in a city, if she was seventy years in the past.

"You're in Brooklyn ma'am. Are you okay?" A familiar voice said behind her. She let out a breathe of relief. Surely he'd help her.

"Thank god I found you Steve-" Margo said as she turned around, two things caused her to cut herself off.

First, was the tall man standing there, his brown hair and blue eyes immediately caught her attention. He was handsome, there was no denying that, and she momentarily felt her cheeks redden.

Then, it was Steve. His face looked almost the same, but slimmer. And he was a foot and a half shorter. Her eyes grew wide, she knew exactly where she was.

And when.