Chapter 33 - Second Chances

ابدأ من البداية

“How about we sit down for dinner first and we can talk about it over coffee and dessert?”  Meg chirped.  “Queran, could you help me set the table and leave the men to their port?”

“Sure mom.”  Queran was pushing forward when Keegan pulled her back and spun her to face him.  He pinned her with a heated look and traced every soft features of her face. 

“What is it B?”  She asked worriedly.

“Nothing, I just.  I just love you.”

Queran sighed sexily and smiled brightly.  “And you know I love you too my sweet man.  I’ll just be in the kitchen helping out.”

“I know.  I just like holding you against me.  Hurry back okay?”

Queran kissed him and playfully nibbled the side of his mouth.  “I will.  You behave yourself you hear?  Be nice.”

She broke away from his embrace receiving a playful slap on her bum as her laughter echoed through the walls leading to the kitchen.

Dinner was splendid with Almond crusted Halibut in special sauce, asparagus and mashed potatoes.  There was nothing but the clinking sound of the crockery filling the silence that stretched.  They discussed mundane topics and the 2 men dissected the events of the last 48 hours touching a little about patient’s cases and interventions.   It seemed like a pretty normal sit down dinner but the experience was entirely different for Dan.  He couldn’t stop squirming in his seat and was just about ready to burst and just get on with his declaration.

“So, what are your intentions toward Meg?”  Keegan bluntly asked.

The wine went down the wrong pipe and he choked on it after hearing the question.  Thank goodness he was able to control not spewing all over the dinner table.  Meg tapped his back as Dan composed himself and cleared his throat.  Here it goes.

“I think you are aware that I have fallen completely and irrevocably in love with Margareta since the first time I met her.” 

Dan clasped his hand with Meg’s and kissed her knuckles.  He locked eyes with her as he continued; never worrying that he just spilled his gut and infinite affection for this woman.

“Just yesterday, after I found out she was in danger my heart stopped knowing she was left behind at the center where the explosives were still being disarmed.  She has become my reason for giving life another chance at happiness.  I know Lucille would have wanted me to be happy as well as Mikel would have wanted Margareta to be happy. I promise to love her and spend the rest of my life taking care of her.”

Then, he slowly panned his gaze into Queran’s eyes pleadingly and slowly into Keegan’s.  “I had already proposed to her and she accepted.  But out of respect for you, my alpha and my luna I would like to seek for your blessing of this union for I cannot wait any longer to make her mine.”

Queran was already sniffing as she bit her lips to contain the emotion.  Tears streamed down her cheeks and let it flow freely.  Dan is a good man and the scene that just played out in front of her was like watching a chick flick with all the mushy elements that can make any girl squeal in delight.  She extended her hand and folded it against her mom’s as she squeezed.  Meg was also tearful but a smile was still pasted on her face.

Keegan on the other hand was in a more contemplative mood.  His arm crossed around his chest as the other rested under his chin.  He blocked off his mind link and looked at Dan square in the face.  Not even a swift kick into his shin moved him and he pinned a menacing look at Dan.

He schooled his features but deep inside he was happy.  He was happy that Dan has found love with his second chance mate.  He recalled his friend’s devastated state when Lucille died and their son died with her after the Venators attacked their home and left her hanging by a few breaths till Dan can discover her.  He never got to see and hold his son.  He buried himself neck deep into his work after 3 months of grieving.  He pulled through and has opened his heart to this amazing woman like his Queran.  It’s time to relent and cut the act.