Chapter twenty-one

Chapter twenty-one

My feet were moving in a stupefaction lit by disbelief.

"Girlie." It was a whisper, and came from the right of me. I turned at the nickname. Rev was in one of the empty rooms and he pulled me inside. I stared at him. It was weird seeing him here in the flesh. "Listen to me, girlie. Are you listening? You know where the Incurses are located?"

I nodded.

He spoke quickly. "Find Bruno and meet me there." His words took some long seconds to wrap around my head. I shook my head slowly. "We have no time, girlie. Get the boy. Meet me there." And he was gone, left the room in a blur. I followed after him, trying to keep up with his gray spirit but through his speed I lost him quickly. I slowed, slid to the ground, and put my back against the wall.

I pressed my sleeve against my mouth and screamed.

I then shut my eyes, and became still like the people around me, struggling to get a hold of myself, to dispense of the images of Josephine's arms slithering around Bruno's neck, of Bruno, who only pulled her closer.

"Take my hand."

The voice was so soft, a musical note. I looked up to the hand that was in my face, and past it, urgent green eyes. She repeated her three words again, the musical sound made my hand lift up to hers enticingly. She helped me up and guided me through the mass of stillness. "What is happening?" I managed to get out.

"Security breach," she answered. "Open all rooms. All workers must line up in the halls so the one who moves will be caught."

"We're moving."

Although I was only seeing the back of her head, her wavy red hair, I could tell she smiled. "Don't worry, it's more difficult with one Incurses now. Nothing like this has ever happened before. Right now, anything could happen." Her pace was gradually slowing down. I was by her side as she dropped my hand. "You fake it, don't you? Being a Sleepwalker." She simply smiled. "Your mother is quite the inspiration," she said, moving hastily behind me. I turned around but she was gone, as though she was never really there.

Suddenly a hand covered my mouth, an arm slipped around my waist. I was being hauled backwards. The person was strong enough to keep me from thrashing. When I bit the hand, I was turned around and slammed against the wall, the breath knocked out of me. He put one arm on either side of my head, blocking me in.

Joseph.

I've never seen his eyes this close before to see the gray that flecked the black; he had an earthy smell. His lips curled into a smile. "Well hello there, Adrian."

I placed my hands on his chest. "Move."

"Why?" He leaned forward, his words whispered against my cheek. "I want to be with you."

I cringed at his words. "You killed the Incurses. You're a murderer."

With every word he spoke, his lips moved against my skin. "I don't know if you noticed but there's a feud going on. Who will inherit the legacy? Josephine wanted it to be her and Bruno. The Incurses wanted it to be you and Bruno. But me, it was always supposed to be just me and you. They're all standing in the way. I did it for us."

Those were his next three victims. Bruno, Josephine, and the Incurses. "How can you even sleep at night."

With a swift movement he gathered my wrists into his hands and pinned them on either side of me. He erased the distance between us and our chests met. When I struggled, he pressed against me more. "Next to you, of course." My breath caught in my throat. "You were in my room that night you—you lied."