Chapter 11

A/N: Wow! I'm so happy everyone is loving the story. I just want you all to know, I see your comments so keep on commenting! Thanks for all the <3!!!
Don't forget to vote at the end of the chapter.

As usual....ENJOY!!!

*

Driving home I couldn't stop the tears from falling from my eyes as a million thoughts filled my mind.
I almost lost my life and this wasn't the kind of life I wanted to live.
As I approached the stop light I wiped my face while glancing out the driver's window noticing Douglas Park.
Seeing the park brought back a lot of memories. I thought back to when my mother would take me there all the time as a kid.
She would be there to play "catch" with me when my father wouldn't have time to. I wanted her back.
More tears fell from my eyes as I thought about it. She was probably turning over in her grave at how I was now.
The person in the car behind me leaned on their horn signaling for me to go snapping me out of my thoughts.
Taking my foot off the break I slowly placed it on the gas pedal before having to slam down on the breaks again.
"Are you fuckin crazy!" The man yelled as he banged on the hood.
Glancing back at the light I saw that it was green for me to go.
Staring closely at the man as he flipped me off I noticed it was my father.
He walked across the street towards the park and took a seat on a bench.
Examining his appearance I noticed his clothes were dirty and his hair looked as if it hadn't been combed in weeks.
The cars behind me honked uncontrollably because I'd miss the light again.
Pulling over I got out. My heart beat against my chest as I walked towards him.
Nearing him I noticed Janet sat next to him wrapped in a blanket.
"Lauren?" She smiled.
My father lifted his head in my direction and shot me an evil look.
"What the fuck do you want?" He snapped.
White garbage bags sat on the ground next to them.
"Don't--she probably can help us." Janet said with hope.
My father stood to his feet.
"I see your doin pretty good for yourself." He said while snatching the gold chain from my neck.
Rage filled my eyes. He smirked as he took a seat back onto the bench.
"I hate you!" I said charging towards him hitting him in the face.
Constantly swinging I couldn't stop as tears fell.
It took a Couple that was walking in the park to get me off of him.
"Are you okay?" The woman asked him.
Janet sat in shock.
She was still pregnant and looked further along than the last time I saw her.
It was a shame she was sticking by him living in a park.
Breaking out of the man's hold I started towards my car.
"This isn't over Lauren! You better hope I never see your ass again!" He yelled as the man held him back.
Janet stood up following after me.
"Lauren wait!" She called.
Half way to the car I stopped.
"Can you please help me." Tears fell from her eyes. "I haven't ate since yesterday and it's not good for the baby."
As much as I wanted to tell her to "Fuck off" my conscious wouldn't let me.
Reaching into my pocket I pulled out fifty dollars handing it to her.
"Take care Janet."
Opening the car door I started to step in when I felt her rough hand on my shoulder.
"I know about Nicholas."
My eyes bucked as I looked at her.
"What do you know about him?"
She looked back in my father's direction noticing the man that came to his safety was still holding him back.
The woman with the man had her phone to her ear. I assumed she was calling the police.
Janet directed her attention back to me.
"He's with your Aunt."
My mother didn't have any siblings.
My father had one sister but she lived across town. I couldn't remember the last time I saw her.
"Are you sure?" I asked.
Wiping away her tears she smiled.
"I wouldn't lie to you."
I gave her a small reassuring smile.
"You don't need this--do better for you and your unborn and leave him alone." I said pointing towards my father.
She looked down at her feet.
"It seem like when he lost his job everything went downhill."
Her eyes filled with water. I could sense she was going to start crying again.
"Thank you Lauren." She said.
"No, thank you Janet."
Getting into the car I closed the door behind me waving to her before starting the car up and pulling off.
Thinking about what she'd told me about Nicholas I contemplated on driving to my Aunt's house.
It would've been awkward showing up unannounced considering I hadn't seen her in years.
My Aunt Lo and mother couldn't stand each other so that was a factor for why she was barely in my life.
My breathing increased the more I thought about it.
The thought of seeing my son for the first time and holding him almost gave me an asthma attack.
Deciding against it I drove home.
Pulling into the driveway I walked into the house and into the room.
Grabbing my pajamas from the dresser drawer I went into the bathroom to start the shower.
As I scrubbed my body clean I noticed the cuts on my arm immediately reminding me of the drive-by earlier.
I hoped Rio wasn't out doing wrong.
Shaking the thought from my head I cut the water off stepping from the shower.
Walking into the room I slipped into my pajamas and climbed into the bed falling asleep.
I woke up several times throughout the night to see Rio was nowhere in sight.
Waking up the next morning I saw he still wasn't back.
My heart began racing.
Leaving the guest house I walked into the living room to see Celia on the computer.
"Good morning." She said barely looking at me.
"Morning." I said taking a seat on the couch. "Have you talked to Mario?"
Briefly looking up at me she inhaled a deep breath.
"Not since our feud."
She typed a few words on the keyboard before taking her glasses off looking at me.
"Why?"
"He didn't come home last night."
Celia's eyes popped. "What do you mean? Have you tried calling him?" She asked worried while pulling her phone from the side of her.
Sliding her index finger over the screen she brought the phone to her ear.
I watched as she listened for a few seconds before quickly pulling it down.
"It's going to the voicemail." She said nervously.
"Ima drive pass the barbershop to see if he's there." I said standing up from the couch.
"Lord I hope he's alright." Celia said praying.
I didn't bring up the drive by because I didn't want to worry her more than she already was.
Walking back to the guest house I tossed over clothes until I found a pair of jogging pants. Putting them on I put on one of Rio's shirts before tying my hair up into a bun.
Leaving the house I arrived at the shop within minutes.
Killing the engine I got out walking towards the door.
Seeing it gave me flashbacks. Boards covered where the windows were and glass still laid on the ground.
Stepping over it I pushed open the door cautiously stepping in.
The sight of the inside looked identical to the outside. Bullet holes pierced the walls and the mirrors were shattered to little pieces onto the floor.
Rio sat in one of the barber chairs.
His clothes were not the same of the day before.
"What you doin here?" He asked interrupting my thought process as I examined his changed clothes.
He had a place to take a shower and put on fresh clothes but he couldn't come home?
"Excuse me?" I frowned.
Standing up from his seat he walked over to me.
"I thought I told you to go home."
His tone sounded as if he was annoyed.
"Why didn't you come home last night?" I asked still frowning. "Celia tried callin' you."
"You shouldn't be here." He said ignoring my question.
Twisting my lip up I looked him up and down.
"Did you not hear me?"
He sighed.
"Lauren, I got people after me and yo life is in danger by bein' here."
I gave him a confused look.
"I did somethin' I shouldn't have." He continued.
My heart pounded against my chest as he spoke.
"Like what?" I asked slowly.
He hesitated before responding.
"I pistol whipped Alaina in front of CJ last night--her nigga the one that did the drive by."
My mouth dropped.
"Why Mario?" I asked furious. "In front of that little boy though--she's pregnant."
He shook his head.
"I know. I let my temper get the best of me."
I looked at him in disbelief. This wasn't Mario I was looking at. I didn't recognize this person.
"I don't wanna be the reason somethin' happens to you so--I think we should fall back for awhile." He said barely making eye contact.
He was coming from left field with everything.
I could feel a lump form in the back of my throat.
"So what are you sayin?"
He rubbed his hand over his still fresh haircut.
"You know what I'm sayin." He said nonchalantly.
"So we're done?" I asked clarifying.
He took in a deep breath while placing his hands in his pockets.
"Yeah."
Tears welled up in the back of my eyes but I refused to let him see me cry.
"I'm sorry."
"Are you really?" I asked sarcastically.
Taking the car key off of my key ring I threw it at him.
He clinched his jaw bones together.
"I'm only doin this because I care about you." He said.
"Go to hell."
Turning to leave he grabbed my arm and a tear fell from my eye.
"We're done! Don't touch me!" I said snatching away from him.
I was beyond hurt. I've been here for him through everything and now he was choosing this thug life over me.
"I'm doin this to protect you not to hurt you."
"You expect me to believe that?" I frowned.
"Right now I don't really care what you believe." He said calmly. "I know why I'm doin' this. I wouldn't be able to live wit myself if somethin' happened to you."
Bending down he picked the car key up from the floor.
"I don't want it." I said.
Twirling the key around in his hand he took my hand placing the key in it.
The tears I fought to keep from falling were now streaming down my face.
He wiped my tears away kissing me on the forehead.
I had grown to really care about him. Maybe even love.
His phone started ringing and he answered it dismissing our conversation.
"Sup?" He said into the phone as he walked away.
I felt misled, abandoned. Anything that meant betrayed.
Leaving the shop I got into the car and balled my eyes out.
This pain was identical to how I felt when I lost my mom.
Getting myself together I pulled off driving in the direction of the house.
I wasn't going to keep mooching off of him and his mother. I needed to get my own before I ended up like my father and Janet.
Taking a detour I stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few snacks.
I'd always been an emotional eater.
Grabbing a cart I started down the aisle tossing in almost everything that contained carbs.
Picking up a pasta package I began reading the instructions on the back of the box before tossing it into the cart.
"So we meet again."
Turning in the direction of the voice my eyes landed on Teddy.
Rolling my eyes I pushed the shopping cart down the aisle.
I hope he didn't think I was going to talk to him after how he acted at the mall.
He's lucky I didn't punch him in the face now.
Ignoring him I picked up a box of Cheerios.
"I wanna apologize again for how I acted the other day--people say I have the tendency of comin off cocky but that wasn't my intentions wit you."
He grabbed a box of spaghetti tucking it under his arm.
I turned towards him.
"That wasn't your intentions but you called me a hoe?"
"You right ma, I was outta line."
Getting a better look at him I saw he had a good grade of hair and a nice physique.
He didn't look bad.
I wasn't saying this because minutes ago Rio kicked me to the curb but Teddy was actually physically attractive. His attitude is what made him ugly.
He began picking up two jars of spaghetti sauce.
"You never told me your name."
"That's because you don't need to know."
He smiled.
"I wanna know it though."
Shaking my head I made my way to the check out line and he followed.
"Are you followin' me?" I snapped.
He laughed as he sat the jars of sauce on the belt.
"I came to shop just like you."
The cashier began ringing up the food.
"You still don't want to tell me?" He asked as he pulled his money from his pocket.
Again he was dressed in True Religion from head to toe.
"Your total is $50.63." The cashier said holding out her hand.
Going through my purse I handed her a hundred dollar bill.
I still had more than enough money left from what Rio gave me.
"Lauren." I finally said to him.
He smiled.
"I knew you would come around." He said cockily.
Rolling my eyes I grabbed my change from the cashier.
"I'm havin' a barbecue in a few weeks. You should come--bring a friend." He said handing me a flyer from his back pocket.
Taking the flyer I grabbed the grocery bags from the bagger.
Scanning the flyer I noticed his address. It wasn't far from the barbershop.
Leaving the store I walked to the car putting the bags inside.
I noticed Teddy walking over to his all black SS Impala with his one bag.
As I was unlocking the car door he pulled up on the side of me turning down his music.
"Damn, this you?" He asked referring to the car.
I shrugged my shoulders.
"Rio must really love you. He bought you a Rover?" He questioned.
Little did he know Rio wasn't my man.
"What did you want?" I asked opening the driver's door.
"You comin' to the barbecue right?"
"No." I said climbing into the car and closing the door.
He smiled and shook his head as he pulled off.
I wasn't going to risk running into Rio.
Pulling out of the parking lot I drove home.
"Did you see him?" Celia asked as I walked through the front door with bags.
Dropping the grocery bags to the floor I looked up at her.
"Yeah, he was at the shop."
She took a sigh of relief. Then went into full mother-mode.
"Did he say why he wasn't answering his phone? That damn boy had my blood pressure up."
Shrugging my shoulders I picked up the grocery bags taking them into the kitchen.
"Why did you go grocery shoppin'?" She asked as she followed. "It's more than enough food in the refrigerator."
Sitting the bags on top of the island I began going through them.
"I don't know how much longer I will be here Ms. Celia--Mario broke up with me."
Her facial expression wasn't of one I hoped to see.
She began smiling.
"Your kidding right?"
Furrowing my eyebrows I looked at her.
"No." I said softly.
"I'm not smiling because you said your leaving Lauren. I'm smiling because you and I both know that boy loves you and this isn't the end."
I looked at her as if she was crazy.
"No, we're over. He made that clear." I said turning to put the pack of Oreo cookies into the cabinet.
"Did he let you keep the car?" She asked raising her eyebrow.
I nodded my head.
"I've proven my point." She said leaving the kitchen.
Celia had given me a little hope but deep down I knew we were over.
Putting away the rest of the groceries I walked back to the guest house.
Everything seemed to be going wrong I thought as I took a seat on the bed.
Who would've thought today was going to be the last time I would've seen Rio for weeks.

***

Weeks passed and I hadn't heard from Rio.
It was hard trying to forget about him and living with his mother wasn't making it any easier.
Glancing at the clock I climbed out of bed walking into the bathroom starting the shower.
For weeks I couldn't stop thinking about what Janet said to me.
Working up enough courage I stepped out of the shower after fully washing my body.
I changed my clothes before grabbing my car keys leaving the house again.
Pulling up to my Aunt's house my heart went a mile a minute.
Killing the engine I sat in the car contemplating getting out. I hadn't seen her in a while and I was nervous about seeing Nicholas.
Working up enough nerve I got out of the car. My knees buckling with each step.
I was letting my nerves get the best of me.
Finally reaching the door I rung the doorbell.
It wasn't too late to turn back. Looking back at the car I turned around walking down the steps when the door opened.
"Can I help you?"
Hesitantly turning around her eyes lit up when she saw my face.
"Lauren?" She smiled.
"Hey Aunt Lo." I said in a shaky voice.
Unlocking her screen door she walked out onto the porch.
Making her way to me she pulled me into her arms.
"Oh honey, I've missed you."
Tears came to my eyes as she broke the hug getting a better look at me.
"Look at you. Your so beautiful."
I smiled and held my head down.
"Who's that?" A man asked stepping onto the porch holding a baby.
My eyes widened as I knew he was holding Nicholas.
"It's my niece." Aunt Lo said answering the man.
"Y'all gon' and come inside." He said his country accent.
Aunt Lo wrapped her arm around my shoulder directing me back towards the front door.
I was still nervous as I walked into the house.
It still looked the same from when I was little.
The man took a seat in a chair still holding Nicholas.
Aunt Lo grabbed Nicholas from him and brought him towards me. He was sleeping peacefully.
Afraid to hold him Aunt Lo positioned my hands before placing him in my arms.
"Just like that--make sure you hold his head." She said instructing me.
He looked so much like me but his hair was of a reddish color. His skin was as light as can be.
"I call him Nick-Nick." My Aunt said smiling.
He stirred a bit in his sleep slowly opening his eyes.
Noticing his eyes were of a hazel color it made me smile.
My mother was the only person that had that eye color.
"Hey Nick-Nick." I whispered kissing his cheek.
Aunt Lo smiled as she stood up from the couch.
"I didn't introduce you to my husband Roland." She said pointing towards him.
Smiling he gave me a head nod and I returned the gesture.
"I gotta go." He said standing up from his seat.
"Already?" Aunt Lo frowned.
"When business calls--." He said hugging her and kissing her cheek. "It was nice meeting you."
"Same here." I said as he left the room.
I couldn't take my eyes off of Nicholas as he fell back to sleep.
"How have you been Lauren?" She asked causing me to take my eyes off of him.
"I've been making it."
Her smile vanished as a look of concern came across her face.
"I'm sorry you had to go through this with your father--but we have a blessing here now."
She looked at Nicholas and rubbed her hand over his head.
"Why didn't I know you adopted him?" I asked.
Sighing she sat back down next to me.
"Your father didn't want anyone to know. He wanted to make it seem as if he was never born."
I shook my head in disappointment.
"All that matters is that your here now."
Smiling I focused all my attention back to my son.
I stayed at my Aunt's house for a few more hours before leaving. She assured me that I could come over anytime to see Nicholas.
It felt good finally being able to hold him again. I wanted to thank Janet again for telling me where he was.
Pulling off I remembered Teddy's barbecue was today.
I was still hurt over Rio but I needed to get out. I'd finally saw my son again and nothing was going to bring me down from that.
Instead of going home I turned off the road in the direction of Teddy's home.