Chapter 14

Butterflies erupted in my stomach at the contact of our bare bodies. 

"Uh, Michael?" I fumbled with his hands that were now resting on my exposed waist.

"Hmmmm." 

"What exactly are you doing?" I asked stiffly.

"Being clingy." He giggled. 

"Can you be clingy when we're clothed?"

"But that's no fun." He stuck out his bottom lip, showing off a pout. I rolled my eyes and splashed him with a wave of the murky water.

I pulled myself out quickly and wrapped myself up with the towels that were conveniently placed on the edge. Even though it was dark and we weren't able to see farther than what was right in front of us, I still did things as if it was broad daylight. 

I picked up my bathing suit and tank top, not even bothering to put them back on since they were wet. I slid on my flip flops and turned back to Michael who was still in the water.

"Are you just going to stay in there all night?" I sneered. He started to climb the rusted ladder and I turned my back to him.

"Wasn't planning on it." He stated after draping a towel that sunk lowly on his hips. He threw his arm loosely over my shoulder and we headed back towards the house.

-

Michael lead me to the living room where we supposed everyone else had ran off to. I twisted the end of my towel and stuck it in my chest, now giving me free hands.

We stepped inside and I hid half of myself behind Michael, feeling somewhat awkward. Our presence was followed by a series of clapping and laughter.

"This doesn't look suspicious at all." Calum joked.

"Shut up." Michael snapped.

He was referring to the clothes in our hands and the fact that we came in later than everyone else. Even though we did literally nothing, I still looked down at the floor with hot cheeks. I was still soaked so, the water from the lake was dripping down the side of my cheek and off my legs. 

Michael left my side, heading down a hallway. I was suspecting that he was putting on the dry clothes he had.

I turned back to the group, who was now occupied by their phones or engaged in a small conversation. Ashton waved me over to his spot to which I followed. He stood up without saying a word to me and placed his hand on my shoulder.

"I'm getting Maddie some actual clothes. Please don't burn my house down, all jokes aside." 

I warily trailed behind him as he lead me up the stairs. His house was big, certainly not as big as Mrs. Louise's, or Michael's I should say, but still big enough to tell that his parents had money. Midway through my thoughts we stopped in front of a simple white door.

"I'll be right back." He said, pushing the door open to let me inside first. I nodded my head sat down on his bed.

His walls were a crisp white that matched his bedding and, just like Michael, he had a few band posters scattered along the walls. Picture frames decorated his dresser, but not many. A couple t-shirts were tossed on the floor here and there, but for the most part, he kept it cleaned up.

I turned my head towards the doorway were had Ashton reappeared. He was scrolling through something on his phone, looking focused on what he was reading. 

I watched him attentively as he pulled out a shirt and pair of sweatpants from his top drawer. He shoved his phone into his back pocket and had a puzzled look on his face. He stuck out the clothing items to me, which I took without hesitation.