The Deal

I had to endure two more hours, three long stares as I was nominated again, and ten minutes of dead silence as I had to approach the stage to accept the awards. Needless to say, when the said their closing I was the first one out with Kate clicking behind.

"The party doesn't officially start till like thirty minutes after this ends! And we're only like five minutes away what's the point of going now? Some interviewer was trying to get your attention.

"I just don't feel like dealing with it all right now."

"Okay, well we could ditch the party and hang out somewhere else." She said now at my side and looking at me, worried.

"Scooter would kill me!" He said laughing now, "I already bailed on the interviewers plus the concert was cancelled." She laughed along with me and linked her arm together with mine.

"So, to the party, mingle like crazy, fake smiles and more smiles."

"And eating, tonight the food is for us too, not just the guest. We deserve it. At least I do for the most part. you just spilled the beans with a grin."

"Hey! In my defense you said we were announcing it...We just didn't expect it to be that big."

"No one could have."

There was a silence between both of us as we found the car and sat there, Kate with her hands crossed in her lap. Myself, staring off into space, just thinking. After a long period of time Kate cleared her throat.

"Hey, Jaybie...Maybe it's safer if we just keep it on the down low for now. You know? Like how those celebs you know  are dating but go to their grave denying it? Ours would be temporary though."

I nodded, "I think that's best for now."

She grinned at me, "And we've accomplished something tonight!" She clapped as the car pulled up into the driveway. We went into the party as friends... to the public at least.