Chapter 1 - Maybe I'm A Ghost

A/N: Hello everyone! I don't know about you, but I love buckin, they're just so cute, so I decided to write a story about the two guys! This is my first fanfic, I hope you'll enjoy it!

I think I'll also choose a fitting line from a Coldplay song as the name for every chapter and add the video so you get to re-watch all the beautiful videos!

Chris' POV

I didn't feel like that interview at all. But our manager insisted on it, for the publicity. So I stepped into the small room, tried to smile, and get over with it.

It was the same questions again of course. "Conscious Uncoupling". Oh, how I hated that term. Someone, I don't even remember who, had made it up to describe my complicated state of mind to all the overly curious tabloid readers and media people. In truth it was me who broke up with Gwyneth, though it wasn't a lie that the chemistry between the two of us was slowly disappearing.

To be honest, I'm still not sure why I actually did this. It would have been better for the kids if we had stayed together. And it's not like breaking up with her would magically solve the real problem.

Part of me had known that it wouldn't really make things any better, but I also just couldn't take the pretending anymore.

"Chris?"

The voice of the interviewer suddenly kicked me back to reality.

"Oh... yes?"

"Didn't you hear my question? I was just asking, you told the media recently you guys were working on your new album. Does it already have a name? I guess we're not to expect such a colourful sound as on Mylo Xyloto?"

"There's no news about the name yet... And no, this time we're going into a bit of another direction with the sound..."

It would be anything but colourful. In fact, I'd have preferred not to release any of the songs I'd written to public at all.

It's really awkward if you want to keep your private life private as a celebrity, but you write songs about it and as a band obviously also release them to public.

But at least everyone thought my break-up from my wife was the only reason for the darkness in my life and songs.

Luckily the interview was finished after a few not too deep questions, I thanked the interviewer and left.

Usually I would now have spend the rest of the day with my bandmates at The Bakery working on our new album, but today Guy and Will were busy, so we decided to skip rehearsals.

To be honest, I was rather happy about it. This way I could just go home and cuddle up on my sofa for the rest of the day.

Most days I would play some of the sad melodies that incessantly kept coming to my mind on my piano, but today I ended up grabbing my guitar after getting sick of watching TV.

I felt like this time it was more than just a little melody in my head, so I put my phone on recording while letting the words flow out of me.

Maybe I'm just a ghost
Emptier than anybody knows
Maybe I'm on the ropes
Or I'm not even here

Maybe I'm a ghost
Just a whisper in a puff of smoke
A secret that nobody knows
No one will ever hear

Even though I didn't know where most of the songs that were arriving in my head were coming from, most times they represented my feelings better than I could ever explain them to anyone.
And the good thing about writing your feelings into songs is that most people don't even realise that this is how you actually feel.

For some people song lyrics might be the unimportant part of songs, just stories with no real background behind them, but the truth is, when writing a song you always leave a little bit of yourself in it.

Probably that's the magic about music, it's just a different way of expressing feelings, not everyone gets it, but for people like me music will always be there to get rid of a little load and make everything seem a little brighter.

After messing around with my guitar for an hour, or maybe also a few hours, I didn't even realise, I scribbled down the lyrics of the song I had started working on.

I already knew what it would be called. Ghost Story. I had that song name in my mind for some time already, I just didn't find the right song for it yet.

I liked that name, Ghost Story. Maybe because the had that hidden wish inside of me that it was all just a story. And I just a ghost, disappearing whenever I want to.

But sadly it wasn't, and I still didn't know how to deal with all that.
I used to be so happy with Gwyneth, I thought she was the love of my life.

Or maybe I never even realised that I had an affection towards him all the time. He's my best friend and always was, but over time it... changed.

I'm still really confused about my feelings, I always was a straight guy actually, but something about him just seemed to push me towards him in a very strange way.

But I knew it wasn't even worth wondering about. He would never feel the same nor would I ever be able to tell him. It would destroy everything.

Maybe it was just imagination after all. Maybe I was just missing my well-ordered life with Gwyneth and the kids.

Now everything is complicated, and it's all my fault. I felt like dying once again, so decided to call Guy to distract me and tell him about Ghost Story.

He answered the phone quickly.

"Hi Chris, is everything allright?"

Guy sounded a little bit worried about me.

"Don't worry, I'm fine..."

Of course I wasn't really but Guy didn't need to know and it already felt normal anyway.

"Listen, I got this song earlier... I don't know if it's good, but I think it might need a little help from you guys..."

"Sure! We'll all meet at The Bakery tomorrow anyway, won't we? We should also consider searching someone for the artwork of the album. And we need a name..."

Guy and me talked for a little longer about random stuff, which cheered me up a little.

Looking at the clock I realised that it was already 1am and we would have a long day of work ahead of us tomorrow, so I went to sleep.